Outboard Selection for 2005 Grand Raid COmpact (3.8)

Disko

Recruit
Gday,

New to this forum..so please be gentle..hehe
I just purchased myself a brand new 2005, Grand Raid Compact from a military surplus auction and I am trying to decide what motor to fit to it. It only takes a short shaft, so my options are limited. The boat is rated to 40hp max. My two option are a new Mercury 40hp LW, or a new Yamaha 30D. I can get the Merc for $4000 (AUD) approx and the Yamaha for $3000 (AUD) approx. I am leaning towards the Yamaha as it is an excellent motor and at an awesome price and overall cheaper, however I am concerned that the boat may be sluggish? I will predominantly be using it for fishing, towing the kids in a tube, and for thrill rides. Anyone have any ideas on this issue. Should I go the whole hog and strap the 40 on or is the 30 going to be fun enough??

Regards,

Disko

UPDATE: have ordered the Yamaha...would still like to hear your feedback on how this boat will possibly perform with this engine. Thankyou!

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard Selection for 2005 Grand Raid COmpact (3.8)

You need 70% of max rated HP for sib to perform very well, for pulling skiers do you need a back spotter, if not, just driver and person being pulled will have great times. Place an induction tach and check max rpm at wot after break in process with you alone and go from there selecting other prop pitch alternative if needed. Standard 3.80 mtr sibs uses 20 HP horses, so definitely will be onto something with a 30.

Happy Boating

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trailer or setup every time? That should determine what size of motor. If trailering then the 40hp. If setting up every time, then something light weight, probably 25 hp or less.

Disko

Recruit

THanks for the feedback guys. I have opted for a Yamaha 30d, should receive next week sometime. I have been able to purchase the Yamaha at cost, so will hold for a year, and if not happy with the power can sell and buy a Mercury 40. To be honest Peter, I will do a bit of both, trailering for boating around home area, but when we go down the coast camping, will bundle it and pack it onto my camper.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Enjoy your 30 horse, ample power guaranteed, the way to go if constant placing and retrieving from boat.

Happy Boating

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you plan to haul the boat in your camper, a nice set of launch wheels might be in order. It would allow you to setup the boat next to the camper, then with a buddy load the outboard onto it. You could then easily wheel it into the water.

If it were me and I was trying to remove and install the outboard semi-often, I would also make some handles sewn out of webbing. Outboards can be slippery and you don't want to drop it on your foot.

I like these removable wheels but they are expensive.
Boat Wheels, Inflatable Boat, Inflatable Boat Wheels, Beach Wheels, launching Wheels, Boat Launching Wheels, Dinghy Wheels, Transom Wheels, Removable - BEACHMASTER Boat Wheels, Dinghy Wheels

Where are you from?

Disko

Recruit

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. Liked that link Peter, looks like just what I need next. A quick update. Im picking up my new outboard (Yamaha 30d) tommorrow. I have rigged the GR just the way I want it ( a bit over the top, but have used the f470 extensively in the army and wanted to rig it the same, with bow, stern lines, under tow bridle and stern tow line..hehe just in case...still need to fit what we call a doebbie line, but need some extra equipment D' ring patches to do this.), have rebuilt a second hand trailer with new hubs, springs, lights, skid strips and wobble wheels, and have had the boat pink slipped and registered. The way I see it, Ill be on the Nepean river this Thursday. I live in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, Australia, and the Nepean is my nearest largish body of water. Ill post some piccies when its all together. I gotta say...I love these boats, have spent 100's of hours, maybe thousands driving zodiacs through every type of water enoviroment you can imagine in the military. Jumped them out of C130's a few times as well...hehe. Stoked I finally have my own. One question, where can I source ratchet/tie down straps which fit the aluminium floor board rails?? Have looked around a bit, and Im struggling to find someone who sells to Australia off the shelf? Additionally if anyone can reccomend a place to get a genuine zodiac bow bag, it would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Kris