outboard safety cable

seaman-recruit

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm a soon-to-be inflatable owner. (ordered one online yesterday) I may be towing it at times with a light outboard on it. (3hp 2-stroke / 24#) I would like to rig a safety cable to the outboard. Is there a common practice used? I was thinking of drilling a small hole through the transom and using an I-bolt combined with a short length of cable attached to a point on the motor that won't interfere with steering.

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: outboard safety cable

You certainly could create a safety strap. Personally, for my own piece of mind I take the outboard off if I am traveling distances. With a 3 hp/2 stroke it wouldn't take up much room in a car trunk, or other. It's the thought of stuff flying off as a projectile that worries me.

I had an experience where we lost a wheel off a trailer ( 80lbs) and it went flying off into a ditch. Luckily there was no one around who could have gotten hurt. If it had gone through a windshield we would have caused a major injury, or accident at the very least. So, I tend to be rather conservative about stuff that could fly off at speed.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many transoms have an eye as part of the motor mount itself. With a 3hp motor it won't take much to keep it with the boat. Are you planning on towing it on land or in the water?

One thing people will also do is tie the motor mounting screws together so they can't vibrate loose.

seaman-recruit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wasn't clear on that - I'll be towing on water. That's a good idea tying the mounts together.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

It's an excellent idea, most people worries about tying a rope from engine to engine plate and forget all about tightening clamp screws properly, try to adjust with hand (not tools) so both eyes face each other and secure with small rope. Motor must be completeley flipped in up position while towing with other boat. Use side rings to have a >------- towing bridle line.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Cushioned Clamps.JPG
    Cushioned Clamps.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 0

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 on Sea Rider's and Peter's method, but I use a Sesame padlock instead of the rope on my 20hp Yamaha. A cable or tether of some type is always a good idea, though. Nothing worse than loosing a small engine.

Larry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

+1 on Sea Rider's and Peter's method, but I use a Sesame padlock instead of the rope on my 20hp Yamaha. A cable or tether of some type is always a good idea, though. Nothing worse than loosing a small engine.

Larry

That will be a good thief deterent too specially for fast buccaneer thieves. Padlocks sometimes tends to viibrate along with engine, if you can live with this constant noise while engine is on, go for it...

Happy Boating

seaman-recruit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks to all that replied - great suggestions. Have a safe and enjoyable 2012 boating season.