Outboard question?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard question?

Red.... If you're speaking of the water telltale outlet, yes, but not hot! You should be able to hold your hand there indefinitely.

bp21

Seaman Apprentice

Howdy, Red:<br /><br />Joe is right. However, I think many Merc owners will tell you that the water coming out of their discharge is scalding hot. This has been a significant topic on the board. My evinrude 90 discharges warm water and it is coming out even before I can get my engine fully started. The mercs may take a few seconds to get water flowing due to the thermostat design.

ehenry

Commander

bp21 is correct in what he is saying about a Mercury engine. I was use to my old Merc engine that had water squirting almost immediately after you cranked it. Mine is a 2000 25 horse and it takes it a little while to get a good flow due to they way the thermostat and tell-tale are designed.

dihwp734

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies. I have a 2001 Yamaha F100. Last week I noticed that the telltale was spraying out of the hole instead of the usual solid stream of water. I inserted a small piece of 300lb mono to clear the opening of any debris. Seems to be working fine now, but the water does feel warm. I guess this is normal.