Outboard Power

LODI QUACKER

Seaman
what do yall think the best power to weight ratio is in small 5-9 hp outboards new or old? I need to get the most out of a small motor.

Thanks

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Outboard Power

Are you asking about brand or type?

A 2 stroke is always gonna have a better power to weight ratio than a 4 stroke.

LODI QUACKER

Seaman

I have owned prob 10-15 different outboards and have found some models to be STRONG. I am aware of the 2 vs 4 stroke situation and the 4 will weigh more whick screws up the RATIO I mentioned. I dont need a brand or a type I mean a small outboard model which you believe to have the best weight to power ratio.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

If your rig can handle a 9.9 two stroke of OMC lineage, go for it. The 9.8 Mercs (Model 110 i believe) had a reputation as being powerful.

I pushed a 14' tinny, on plane, with fishing gear, battery, trolling motor, and my 220lb butt with a 1993 8HP Evinrude. Same block and weight as the 6hp version, just wound a little tighter.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JohnnyRude 6 and 8HP twins descended from the Johnny CD series are very good. . . smooth and powerful. That would be my choice if i had to have 5+HP

The best small outboards ever made by anyone are all derived from the Johnson JW series 3, 3.5, 4 and 4.5HP. A JW with no gear shift, like ezmobee's 4HP Evinrude, weighs only around 30lb.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The first JW-10 was introduced in 1952, and it was a derivation of the earlier HD series.

I don't know when they stopped building descendants of that engine, but it was danged near 50 years in production. That gives you a lot of choices

Mine was a JW-13 3HP, no gearshift, integral fuel tank, from 1957. Smooth as a Singer sewing machine.

I would include any JohnnyRude 3 to 4.5 from the 70s to mid 80s as the peak years. You have options for gearshift or not, integral fuel tank or not, shallow water drive, regular drive, yacht drive (25" leg) and folding version that has a nice carry case.

jbjennings

Captain

My vote for best power to weight ratio is the 9.8 mercury from the 70's.
I have one and the rascal is really torquey and downright fast on a light boat by myself. I also have 10hp johnsons from the 50's and they are smoother running and easier cranking by far when cold starting.
JBJ