Outboard Position

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice
This may have been answered a billion times but..........<br /><br />When towing the boat and trailor, should the OB be raised or not?<br /><br />I see some that are and some that are not. I have a 20 hp but no mechanical tilt and would only rely on the hinge that could break loose on a bumpy road.<br /><br />It seems to me that the transom would get more pressure from the raised OB than when it is in the normal position.<br /><br />I raise the OB before launching and pullout.<br /><br />Riley

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outboard Position

You need your skeg to clear the ground by at least 10", Riley. If you have that with the engine down, no problem.<br /><br />Tilting the engine does not increase the loading on the transom because it moves the weight of the powerhead forward. <br /><br />I tilt my engine because it doesn't have enough skeg clearance when down, and I use a transom saver to lessen loading on the transom on bumpy roads.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outboard Position

i dont know what kinda boat you have. but i tow mine down with the gears on forward so if it hits somthing it will pop up and not rip the lower unit off.i never hit anything while towing down.its alot less stress on the transom