Outboard noise levels - Optimax/E-tec/4-stk

jmoser

Seaman Apprentice
I will be buying a new pontoon this year with a 50-60 hp outboard.<br /><br />For pulling the kids on a tube any motor will do fine, much of our use is slow and quiet trolling at sunset, etc.<br /><br />I have heard some knocks against the Optimax noise levels - most of the local boat package deals include Mercs so I may wind up choosing between a 4-stroke Merc or Optimax. If I can find the right package with an E-tec it will probably be my 1st choice.<br /><br />Weight wise I would like the 2 stroke but noise is a major factor for me - does anyone have real experience with these Optimax engines in the 50/60 hp range? How do they compare dB wise to the 4-stroke?<br /><br />P.S. my fuel usage is negligable so I am not factoring that into the decision.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Outboard noise levels - Optimax/E-tec/4-stk

4 strokes are quieter. Don't get talked into buying a new verado 4 stroke either, ya don't need with the pontoon boat, the regular 4 stroke is perfect. Plus 4 strokes dominate in the idle speed fuel efficiency race.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

The E-tec's are just as quite and fuel efficient as 4 strokes. I think your choice may end up being the dealer that can take care of you the best. I'd go for the E-Tec but that's me.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

One thing most pontoon boat owners with a 4-stroke hate is reaching down over the back of the boat each time they have to check the oil level. First you have to remove the cover, tilt the motor up for a minute, then down to level and allow the cold oil to drain down to the sump. Then find an old rag and remove and insert the dip stick, all while hanging over the back of the boat. Then you have to dispose of the oily rag or put it in a plastic bag. The only oil warning you have is when you lose pressure from lack of lube.<br /><br />If you keep your pontoon boat on a trailer, then it is a lot easier. Before you buy the pontoon, lean over the back and check the oil level the way the owners manual says. <br /><br />With an E-TEC, you only have to remove the cover after the low oil light comes on. When it does, you still have several hours at cruise before running out.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

That's a good point seahorse. For those of us who don't own a pontoon, we would never think of this.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Then there is the "oil and filter change and disposal" routine you also need to consider. Current two strokes are virtually maintenance-free, as economical to operate and for all practical purposes as quiet or nearly so as a four stroke. Granted, the four stroke does make a nice package for a pontoon if you can deal with the other maintenance issues.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />A few years back Yamaha F60 was one of the most quiet in its class.<br />It is probably same today.<br />There is a High thrust version of the Yamaha 60 hp 4-stroke named T60EFI that would probably work fine on your pontoon boat.<br /><br /> Link <br /><br />You have also the Mercury 60 EFI Bigfoot.<br /><br />Link

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

No Optis in the 50 to 60Hp range. Smallest I've seen is 115 and I doubt they'll go much lower although I guess they do make a 75. Get an EFI 4-stroke, or an E-tec. Make sure there's a tach cuz you'll have a hard time hearing them run. :)

Drowned Rat

Captain

Not sure about the new generation 2 stroke technology, but I can tell you that the EFI 4 strokes are whisper quiet. Don't go with the Hondas. My wife's workboat has a Suzuki 40hp and you can't hear it running at idle, seriously. It makes about as much noise as a small car.

jmoser

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies -<br /><br />I think I am headed for a 60 hp EFI Merc 4-stroke. <br /><br />After checking more specs there is no meaningful weight penalty vs. comparable DI 2-stroke [E-tec.] I guess for 2006 Merc dropped all 2-strokes under 75. I had been relying on some outdated models and specs - '06 is a different story.<br /><br />I can deal with the oil check/drain issues; I will add an auxiliary fuel filter to help protect the injectors. May have to play with the prop pitch to get right compromise between low speed trolling and top end tubing.

swist

Just to confirm, what you heard about Optimax noise is true. They are louder than the same HP plain old carbed 2-stroke.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Mercury may be about to offer DFI's all the way down to 40 hp..Of course...I'll never tell :)

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have not seen nor heard anything bad about the E-Tec, some are assured that in simplicity there is reliability, the E-Tec has been advertised as such an engine and has developed quite a staunch following and an evergrowing fan club judging by the numbers being sold.<br />If i was in the market for an outboard, i would be giving a serious look at the E-Tec, however for the foreseeable future i'll remain married to my trusted 1989, 2-stroke 75hp Mariner :)

James Clarke

Cadet

E-tec's Ya I'd buy one. I wouldn't want to hit a rock with a 4-stroke outboard, (or any motor) the instant shock to the timimg chain, valve train ect.(depending on how they are built). Or even the pressure from the Top mounting bolt's to the midsection oil sump can crack. Something that I've seen happen on a 4-stroke motor.

Mike Robinson

I used to work for a company that used to lease outboards from OMC then switched to Yamaha when OMC went out of business. Our safety boat an 18 ft. rigid hull inflatable was reoutfitted with twin Yamaha 40 hp - 4 strokes. The first time I hopped into it I went to start one engine and when I turned the key a god awful grinding noise emitted from the engine. Much to my suprise the engines were already idling! Boy was I embarrassed! My crew got a good chuckle out of it though!