Outboard Newbie needs help

ScottyB315

Cadet
I just bought a late 70's 9.8 Mercury outboard. I have taken it out twice now and I have a few questions.<br /><br />1. I have to slow build up the throttle while in gear or the motor will really bog down. It feels like it is trying to catch up and then it just dies. However, it will run just fine at low to medium speeds. Another thing I notice is that it really wants to move along as soon as its put in gear. Not a very low idle speed. What are some causes and solutions to these characteristics?<br /><br />2. If I nurse it and finally get the dinghy to start hauling arse the motor will go just fine and then all of a sudden start to really rev out and feel as if it has fallen out of gear. But then if I back off the throttle and then increase slowly she'll just keep going again. Is there some kind of clutch or something in the drive train that could be slipping causing this these characteristics?<br /><br />Thanks for any advice, I really need to know where to get started.<br /><br />Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Outboard Newbie needs help

It sounds like you need to rebuild the carb. The revving up is characteristic of a spun prop. Your local prop shop can check that for you. If there is enough room in there, you can put a mark on the inner and outer hub. When it does that again, see if the marks are still lined up.

ScottyB315

Cadet

IBNFSHN,<br /><br />Thanks for your input. From reading past posts I had kind of come to those conclusions also. What is involved in a carb rebuild, and is it a relatively simply job? How much should I expect to pay to have it done at shop vs. how much for some type of rebuild kit? Thanks.

Clams Canino

Commander

The kits run ABOUT $20 depending on the model. Expect to spend an afternoon on it. Or at least 1.5 hours of paid ship time.<br /><br />-W

ScottyB315

Cadet

-W<br /><br />Thanks, I guess I bought a project. But for the 350 I spent and with a little TLC my little dinghy is going to fly.