Outboard Motor Stand Plans

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone out there have any good plans to make a heavy duty outboard motor stand? I need somewhere to put my blown 150 Ficht when I take it off the boat and I don't think a makeshift stand from a hand dolly is gonna work.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jim

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Outboard Motor Stand Plans

Thanks for the reply Rick, those will give me some design ideas for sure. <br /><br />Anyone got some general dimensions to go with the pics?

Paul Moir

Admiral

I really don't have any dimensions, but a couple design ideas. If you're going to work on the engine, make a shelf on the front for tools. And if you plan to tilt the engine while it's on the stand, the front legs should kick out from the "transom" a good 10" or so. When raised, the centre of gravity is right over or sometimes even a little forward of the transom. You don't want that thing toppling forward on you.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

The pics of the one with the black big Merc and the Homelite are mine (its the same stand). I built that thing like 5 years ago. Its about 3 feet square at the base, and about 3 feet 8 inches tall. I built it with a transom angle to it and the weight distribution keeps the motor centered over the four caster wheels. The heaviest motor I have had on it was about 300 lbs, and it rolls around easily. I also built it so I can roll my rolling toolchest into it and put the whole mess against the wall so it is out of the way.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Paul and Jason for your info and advice. Great ideas!! Will definitely consider them in my design<br /><br />Jason, I noticed the transom mount is sitting lower on the stand for the Merc. What are you using to anchor it to be able to move it up and down?<br /><br />Paul,<br />In the pic below Jason's Homelite (shows a white Johnson) the base on the front legs extends beyond the transom mount uprights. (battery resting on crossmember) Is this what you meant by extending the legs?