outboard motor laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobe24

Cadet
hey guys,

i read some where on this forum that if you get a motor more than 10hp there are different laws and regulations u need to know? i cant find the thread i was reading, but is it true? sorry for the noob question, i jus dont wanna get fined.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: outboard motor laws

The only one I can think of deals with ferry tenders. Federal law does not require boats with less than 10hp to be registered if that boat's sole purpose is to tend another vessel. Most states however do require it regardless, so it's kind of a mute point.

Other than that, 9.9hp and smaller is a common limitation for smaller lakes and rivers.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't recall that thread. I know that some lakes, ponds, rivers will have posted regulations that require engines to be under 10 hp. for that particular body of water. For that reason, engine makers often offered motors with 9.9 hp.

As far as I know, boating related laws apply no matter what the hp of the motor. If I'm wrong, we'll find out here.
Larry

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In Ontario a boat with less than 10hp do not need to be registered.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

You need to research that for your state.
It use to be some states did not require boat registration on boats with less than 10hp.
Very popular with the sailboat crowd.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Like Jeeperman stated, the laws on registration vary from state to state.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

oregon law is anything with a motor needs to be registered. 9.9 hp and less, no license. 10 horse and more, need the education card. 12 and under age wise, not sure what the laws are for them to operate a boad with a motor. course you also need safety gear, floatation devices, jackets, whistle, etc. the common sense stuff

Fordgalaxy

Cadet
Re: outboard motor law

Re: outboard motor law

I was told Washington if the boat is less than 16 ft and the motor is less than 10 horse you do not need boat numbers on it.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm in Florida and we have to register a damn canoe with a trolling motor on it!!!

I have heard that if you have a smaller sailboat its doesn't have to be registered as a power vessel if the motor is less that 10 hp, but that's on a sailboat.

This reminds me of a time I saw some guys on a small sailboat putting down the river with a small outboard. No mast or sails on the boat, just the sailboat hull and a small outboard. They were exempt from registering but I had to waste my time going to the tax collectors and paying for my little sticker so I could slap my trolling motor on my canoe.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

Thus the whole purpose of the 9.9 HP motor. To get around the law!

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's a load of rules/regulations in Ontario (Canada) for pleasure boat operators and safety equip to be carried in the boat even if pwrd by 15lbs thrust electric. One of which is the mandatory Marine License. I know, I just passed the Transport Canada test which requires an above 70% mark. Just not worth the fine if caught without it.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

As has already been stated, research the laws for your area. Don't rely on someones memory of the laws, as they change.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Let's let this one die. Needs to be specific for any value.

Status
Not open for further replies.