Outboard Model 150TXRB 2-Cycle Oil-Injection Technical Improvements

mrsnipe

Cadet
Dear Technical Representatives:<br /><br />The purpose of this letter is to alert Yamaha Motor Corporation to an operational condition on 2-Cycle Oil-Injection models that requires a technical review. Analysis below is based on the Owner's Manual and Technical Manual descriptions for Model 150TXRB 2-Cycle Oil-Injection system.<br /><br />My Model 150TXRB 2-Cycle Oil-Injection outboard is currently equipped with the standard tachometer and audible low-level oil alarm. An optional Yamaha Digital Tachometer is available and includes: Tachometer, Trim meter, Hour meter, Oil level indicator, Overheat warning indicator, Set button, and Mode button.<br /><br />The Digital Tachometer, compared to the standard tachometer and audible alarm, affords additional visual warnings for low oil-injector levels and water jacket temperatures, but both installations are deficient for Yamaha outboards:<br /><br />• There is no pre-check device or operational procedure described to test proper functioning of the low-level audible alarm switch set point. A switch failure preempts engine oil-injector reservoir level indicators.<br /><br />• In event of lube oil pump failures, there is no alarm system for low pump discharge to the intake manifold vapor separators. The oil level in the outboard oil reservoir will be high or normal but the engine is oil-starved without a visual and or audible alarm.<br /><br />• An optional Yamaha Digital Tachometer includes an Overheat Warning Indicator which would sound at the preset set point for jacket temperature in the event of a loss of oil-injection. This visual alarm, under full load conditions, would probably not allow lead time to prevent further damage to the outboard internals caused by injector-oil starvation.<br /><br />I recommend Yamaha investigate possible solutions to the issues above in order to make the 2-cycle outboard a more reliable product. I further propose that a dealer alert bulletin be issued that advises dealers and customers of these potential problems.<br /><br />Very truly yours,<br /><br />Terry D. Payne<br />Charleston SC<br />843-766-4437<br /><br />Copy to: Seels Outboard, Charleston, SC<br />Kerry Schroeder, Yamaha Regional Service Representative

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard Model 150TXRB 2-Cycle Oil-Injection Technical Improvements

hahahah we have an eng a neer<br />we can make yamahas entirely bullet proof and more reliable than the shuttle craft. however only 3 people in the states can now afford one. the precision blend on your 115 has been around for over 30 years with no problems. if the pump siezes it will destroy the bottom of the crank and if your running at 5000 or so thye damage will be instantaneous so there is no need for an extra sensor to fail like merc has, yamaha uses a brass drive gear so failures are eliminated. as far as the alarm self test the yamaha electronics are almost bullet proof. they dont fail like jonnyrudes and mercs. but when they do they are expensive. if you follow the maint guidlines for the water trap draining and sensor testing as well as a visual inspection of the linkages you will find the oil system will last 20 or 30 years. dont do the maint and it may not make a season. the swicth and alarm system was tested prior to you taking delivery. if in doubt look at the PDI sheet. there is a specific block for the completion of that test. if you use more than 10 gallons of oil a month then you will need to adjust your filter and sensor cleaning schedule accordingly. here common sense dictates.<br /> if you wanted the extra visual indicators then buy the multi-function tach. most low end boats like the sea hunt are rigged with elcheapo tachs and gauges along with aftermarket non standard elchepo ign switches that fail like mad then people blame yamaha not the seahunt factory or the maker of the elcheapo gauge/switch. se hunt and sea pro are on par with bayliner and maxum. entry level but affordable and if yopu dont mind doing some extra work can be a decent boat. they use the nice heat shrink connectors in the bilge area wiring but rarely connect them. they also use the most mickey mouse water seperator I ever saw. holds about 3 oz of water before passing it to the engine. I would rather you ask them about real issues like a water detection circuit in the engine filter like the merc efi and the yam HPDI. or a fuel restriction alarm like jonnyrudes have. lets get rael issues out not oil issues that never fail. I have been working on yammis almost 20 years and never heard of a pump failure that caused an oil starvefailure but I am sure out of the thousands of motors there had to be one. the biggest problems we had with pumps were back in the mid eighties when the check valves were in the pump and one would stick sometimes and allow oil to fill a cylinder while the motor was off or the controller would fail and not shut off the oil transfer and cause oil to fill the airbox. the oiling system on your 115 is as close to bullet proof as can be reasonably made and still have the motors affordable. like I say we can make them to shuttle craft standards but that still dont mean they wont go down in flames. but like most of the shuttle fires it was a stupid part that someone overlooked that failed.