outboard lower mount removal - johnson 55hp - '77

john_g

Cadet
hi all, is there a trick to undoing the lower forward leg mount? there is almost no access to the bolts

part number 77 in this
http://www.*****************/parts/jo...xhaust+Housing

many thanks for any tips
John

not sure the link works.. I am trying to separate the exhaust mid section from the lower set of moutings.. but the middle front mount bolts are just too hidden really..

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Have you got it out of the mount bracket #78? I believe you have to remove the bolts #80 to get it out.

Do you have the bolts out of the upper mounts?

Last edited:

john_g

Cadet
thanks for reply F_R..
I see what you mean about #80 on the diagram..

78 is in the way of getting #77 bolts out. .but looking at it, the 80#s maybe holding #78..

will go back and look in an hour..
I don't think there is anything wrong with this mount, but the rearward mounts have snapped bolts so are not really held to the exhaust housing.. to try and do anything with them I need 78 gone..

edit - yes upper mount is removed, steering stem out etc..

Last edited:

john_g

Cadet
all removed.. the rear lower mounts already had 2 snapped bolts (80#) .. but I got those and the remaining two out after some effort ..
also, the reason for going down there at all were two 75#s side facing bolts were snapped.. I wanted to drill them out as best as could..

what a nightmare these engines can be to dismantle.. anyway, hopefully I can rebuild all now knowing it will come apart easily in the future if needed..

john_g

Cadet
all removed.. the rear lower mounts already had 2 snapped bolts (80#) .. but I got those and the remaining two out after some effort ..
also, the reason for going down there at all were two 75#s side facing bolts were snapped.. I wanted to drill them out as best as could..

what a nightmare these engines can be to dismantle.. anyway, hopefully I can rebuild all now knowing it will come apart easily in the future if needed..