outboard idles poorly after long outings

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 80 HP 1966 Johnson Super Sea Horse outboard engine.<br /><br />The engine, starts and runs great when cold, however after about 30 mins of running it has a hard time idling. To the point where I have to adjust the throttle to half of the start position to keep it running in the marina.<br /><br />Any one know where to adjust this baby?<br /><br />I am always leary of playing with the carbs..<br /><br />Thanks in advance

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: outboard idles poorly after long outings

Anyone have a clue?

9675hpforce

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds li e shes not getting fuel. Chec all the suspects and maybe the fuel pump needs a new diaphram.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

break out your trusty manual and do a carb adjustment<br /><br />also, make sure your choke isnt on or stuck - that will really mess ya up, run great cold, load up hot, and giving it more throttle, or more "gas" is actually giving it enough air to breathe<br /><br />good luck

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Choke is wide open. This motor is a dual carb.<br /><br />Like I said not a big fan of playing with carbs. Any tips where to start??<br /><br />I have a clymer evinrude / johnson outboard shop manual with 6 differnt carb types for this year, but none of them are an exact match...

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Paul, I thing Ray has the right approach here. Try resetting your low speed needle adjustments. The old down draft carbs are particular about how much gas they drink. Failing the needle adjustments, check over the engine. Do compression test, check spark and spark plugs, and engine temp at idle. If it idles better cold than hot, I would lean towards carb adjustments first. Keep us posted as to your progress.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I have a special hammer for carbs ... its 16 lbs heavy, has a three foot long handle ...<br /><br />lol, well, maybe its a 1 lb dead blow hammer, sometimes Ill tap around with it to free up gunk and deposits<br /><br />sometimes ya get lucky<br /><br />and sometimes you push the SEATOW button on the ol cel phone<br /><br />Carbs suck, literally and figuratively<br /><br />if they aint suckin right, you aint happy<br /><br />the only true way to suckin happiness is to tear it down, carb clean the metal parts, blow out the passages with ye olde blow attachment, reassemble with fresh gaskets and GO!<br /><br />I dont know the raw settings, some are 3/4 of a turn for high speed and 1.5 for the low - but lots of salty wrenches in this forum, someone will know