Outboard Height

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a twin vee that I'm repowering. My question is how high should I set the motor up for this hull? I've got it on the transom and the bottom bolts at the top of the slots. Here's a picture of what I'm working with. I guess what I'm asking is should the cavitation plate be even with the bottom or could I raise this motor up?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outboard Height

You can probably raise that outboard a bit without causeing any problems.

You will need to do it on a trial and adjustment basis. As soon as you get it high enough to allow ventilation drop it back about an inch.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I mount it in the last hole, you think it would cause any issues? I'm trying to get it right once without doing it 4 times. Right now the cavitation plate is even with that middle V or whatever you want to call it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The ultimate height depends on the prop you choose and the level of technology built into that certian prop. If you only try 4 heights in this process you'll be lucky.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live right by a river so I mounted it to the first holes today and took it for a spin. I have a 17p SS on it right now that has some cup to it. At WOT it runs 34 mph according to GPS but only turning 5100 rpms. The whale's tale is running under the water and the boat feels like it's dragging so I took it up to the 4th holes. It got dark so I'll test it this weekend. I'm not really wanting to put a jackplate on it but if push comes to shove, I will.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If you don't mind messing around a bit go all the way up and see how it runs, if it cavitates drop it a hole till you you can run wihtout it cavitating alot.

Watch your pee stream though, too high and you may get it out of the water btu the higher you can run it the better it will do.

Raising the engine is the eaasiest cheapest way to get speed, depending on where ti is now you could gain several mph by raising it.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you really need that fitted ????

I don't really know. I haven't tried it without it. I figured it would help plane out a little quicker. I'll find out in the morning how it does without it.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The tales wokr really well on some boats and not others, I know I won't run my boat without mine.

Try it with and without it and run it how it works best, someone may have put that on just to put it on.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I'll be getting a jack plate. Even with it all the way up, My cavitation plate is still running under the water to the point where I can even see it and water is shooting up between the motor and transom. It's a 20" transom but it's almost like I would be able to put a short shaft motor on it and be ok. I don't know. The boat is a Twin Vee and this is the first "tunnel" hull boat I've owned but I'm already getting flustered. I'm very impressed with the way this boat pretty rides though. Very smooth and very dry.