outboard gasoline question

mudcat1

Seaman Apprentice
When using a stabilizer,is it still adviseable to run the motor dry when it's not going to be used for a few weeks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: outboard gasoline question

Running the engine dry is a risky process, Mudcat.<br /><br />It probably does no harm to a single carb engine, but with multiple carbs it is definitely a bad idea, because half of your cylinders will probably run unlubed for the last few seconds.<br /><br />Even with stabil in the fuel, I suggest that you drain the carb bowl(s) if you are going to put her up for more than a week or so.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

paulgp6022

Petty Officer 1st Class

Draining the carbs would defeat the purpose of using Sta-Bil. Once you put Sta-Bil in your gastank, run the motor for 10 minutes or so to allow the sta-bil to get through the motor. <br /><br />I never drain the carbs or tank while using Sta-bil, even over the winter. I have never had any problems doing this. Good luck

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't disagree with you about storing fuel with Stabil, Minnow, but: <br /><br />"Defeat the purpose"? How would draining the carb bowls prevent Stabil from stopping varnish formation? I think you meant that there is no varnish anyway so why drain the carbs?<br /><br />Unfortunately, Stabil does not prevent gas from evaporating and leaving the oil behind in the bowls. Draining the bowls does.<br /><br />In cooler climates or stored indoors that is only a small risk. Stored outdoors at 100F it is a real problem.

paulgp6022

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there isn't any gas with sta-bil in it in the bowls, then sta-bil wouldn't be there. I always saw an empty bowl as an open invitation to moisture (sort of like an empty fuel tank). If the bowls are full, then no moisture, right? I guess we all do things differently (which is good for this board)!

mudcat1

Seaman Apprentice

OK Folks!I get the idea.Have my own so I guess we live and learn.Thks!

ehenry

Commander

I'll tell yall what I do oand you can call me an idiot if ya want to.....If I know I'm going to set my up rig up and an extended period I run a tank thats 50:1 mixed aviation fuel and run it for a while. I don't run this fuel all the time, only hwen I see I'm not going to be using the boat for an extended period. I have really easy access to it and it doesn't cos that much more. It has all the additives to keep all the foul things from happening to it that happens to reagular pump gas. Just my 2 cents worth.