Outboard free revs on turns

koberlee

Seaman
Hi all My dad just bought a pontoon boat w/ a 40hp evinrude vro motor. It seams to run fine but when making turns the motor wants to rev up. Does this mean the prop is too far out of the water. The trim pin is set in the all the way down posistion.
Thanks,

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard free revs on turns

If you have a short shaft motor it is very possible the engine is not sitting down far enough.

Double J 300

Cadet

Sounds like cavatation....prop sucking air. Try lowering the motor one hole at a time and test it. You may lose top end speed by lowering the motor, so it may be something (cavitation on turns) that you can live with, Good luck. Alan

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Silvertip and Double J, except that what is happening is ventilation, not cavitation. Cavitation is an entirely different problem with entirely different solutions.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I been thinking here..(yep, prop venting)...being a Pontoon, when ya turn, the float on that side will disturb the water coming at the prop. causing it to ventilate..??

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yep, that's what happens. Get the motor down into the water if you can. No need to try to keep it up high for speed. Pontoons aren't exactly race boats. But real nice to have.