outboard continues to crank after key is removed

myket1

Cadet
i have a 2005 mercury 60 hp bigfoot. i went to start it and the motor kept cranking after i took key out. i had to disconnect battery to stop it. now i cant connect battery without it cranking immediately. what is going on? I even put it in gear and it still immediately cranks when i connect battery.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: outboard continues to crank after key is removed

You either have a bad ignition switch or a stuck solenoid. Disconnect the small wires on the solenoid and try it again. If it still does it replace the solenoid. If it doesn't, replace the ignition switch.

myket1

Cadet

thank you so much for answering so quickly. i will do that now and let you know how it works out. thanks again, i really appreciate it.

myket1

Cadet

You either have a bad ignition switch or a stuck solenoid. Disconnect the small wires on the solenoid and try it again. If it still does it replace the solenoid. If it doesn't, replace the ignition switch.

what is the order of the steps for this procedure?
after disconnecting wires, should I then connect the battery? Or should I disconnect, connect the battery, then disconnect the battery, then reconnect everything?

Thanks again
Forward Message

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I assume that right now the battery is disconnected since you said the starter starts running as soon as you connect it. So first disconnect the small wires on the solenoid, then reconnect the battery to test.

myket1

Cadet

I conducted the tests you suggested and it looks like the solenoid. It had to be special ordered and should be in by Tuesday. The boating season where I live kicks off this weekend. I really appreciate the help you offered to me. I should know if I am good to go by Wednesday. I will let u know what happens.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help and quick response.