Outboard cleaner?

jagged

Seaman Apprentice
I've posted on how my 85 35hp merc. stalls thens conks out when i try to give it power. I checked everything from taking the carb off first. The carb did not seem dirty at all, the pawn shop i bought it from must have gotton it cleaned. It's getting sparks and we put a little amount of teflan sealant in the bottom nozzle where the carb was leaking and it didn't seem to leak after that. When i took the plugs out i seen like black grease and then looked inside the plug hole with a flashlight and seen a black corrosion as far as i could see best. Is there any kind of cleaner i can spray or put in my gas to clean it out? and will this make it run better? Thanks

NathanY

Commander
Re: Outboard cleaner?

That black stuff is carbon build up. A thorough decarb will do the trick. I like Mercury PowerTune, but there are other brands out there. Just read the instructions on the back of the can.

jagged

Seaman Apprentice

Hey thanks for the info man! Will decarbing it most likely make it not bog down and then out or is that a deeper prob.?

NathanY

Commander

I would say look elswhere for the bogging down problem, probably the carb that you had leaking would be a good place to start. Go ahead and rebuild it, or both, whatever the case may be.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Usual carb operation is that the idle system is separate from the high speed system and as the throttle butterfly opens it gradually shuts down the idle system as airflow increases. If it's stalling when you open throttle, it could be that the high speed system is blocked or faulty and isn't coming in as the idle system shuts down. <br /><br />If the bottom nozzle is the high speed nozzle, the sealant you put in is a good candidate for cause of blockage. Carbs don't leak unless there's a fault and usually the only way to restore them to proper operation is to correct the fault with the right parts. I'd be pulling it down and checking out the high speed system.

jagged

Seaman Apprentice

Would the high speed nozzle be called a ''jet''? I looked up my model of part on mercruiserparts.com and didn't see nothing that said '' high speed'' on the list the only thing i saw that could refer to that is jet.

Tinkerer

Jet should be what you're looking for.<br /><br />BTW, there's no way to tell if the important parts of a carby are clean without dismantling it. Even a blocked one will often be quite clean inside, except for the bit with the gunge in it.

jagged

Seaman Apprentice

You mean just a little bit of something in my carb could make the motor just stall and shut down like that? Thats amazing! I'm glad you told me that cause my dad figured by just putting some sealent to stop it from leaking that that would work. You know what i just looked up some more parts and notcied that the place it was leaking from is called the '' main nozzle'' and the part we took off was called the '' screw plug'' for the main nozzle. When we took the screw plug off there was No main nozzle!!!!! Could that be it!

Tinkerer

Maybe. But make sure the nozzle is really missing. If it's got a cap on it it's possibly recessed in a bore behind the cap. You'll likely see a brass or other metal fitting that can be removed, but it might be at the bottom of a bore rather than staring you in the face when you take the cap off. <br /><br />Imagine looking at the end of a 1/4 inch diameter rod with a slot across it like a screw slot, then imagine it with a hole drilled in the middle leaving slots on either side of the hole. If you can see something like that (any size) in the bore you should be able to get it out with a screwdriver in the slot. If it's a hex nut or other type of head, you'll probably need a special wrench or tool to get it out. <br /><br />Before you do any of this, check with someone who knows your carby because I don't and you might damage it beyond repair if there's some special tool or technique involved.<br /><br />As for what it takes to block a carby, have a look at the size of the hole in the jet when you get it out and it'll probably be tiny and won't take much to block. Those holes are machined to very fine tolerances and even a partial blockage can shut it down.

jagged

Seaman Apprentice

Well thanks alot man u don't even know how much you've helped us. One more thing could this really be what making it die out and if it's not where should i be looking to next. Thank alot yall !! jag

Tinkerer

Get a standard pin and poke it through a piece of paper. The hole is way bigger than the hole in the nozzle in a lot of small engine carbies. Restrict such a tiny hole a bit, which takes almost nothing, and it's delivering less fuel than is required to mix with the air coming through the carb to give the proper air-fuel ratio for combustion and if it's reduced enough then nothing happens when you open the throttle.<br /> <br />Most likely it's a blocked or restricted high speed system in the carb. Doesn't have to get dirt in it. Fuel leaves residues in the carb, especially if it's been sitting for a while, that will easily restrict or block it. <br /><br />If the nozzle is at the bottom of the system then that's where the dirt and gum and gunge will most likely be.<br /><br />There also has to be an inlet for the fuel from the float bowl to the nozzle, which is going to be somewhere between the cap and the nozzle. If you were too generous with the sealant, you might have blocked that passage off entirely. Assuming the sealant hasn't been dissolved by fuel and carried further into the system to block the nozzle. Either way the result is no high speed system; it runs only on idle; and when the idle system shuts down on opening the throttle (which takes only a slight movement of the butterfly) it dies. <br /><br />Get the right seal for the cap or make one from oil jointing paper or gasket material, which any auto parts shop should have, and let us know if it solves the problem.

jagged

Seaman Apprentice

Well thanks again man, i'll do exactly like you said but i'm not gonna poke around in it cause i just got and i don't want to have to replace a full part. I'll just check it out soak it in some carb cleaner and if it still leaks i'll get a gasket kit for rebuilding it. I'll let you khow what happens and post again! Thanks

jagged

Seaman Apprentice

Well thanks again man, i'll do exactly like you said but i'm not gonna poke around in it cause i just got and i don't want to have to replace a full part. I'll just check it out soak it in some carb cleaner and if it still leaks i'll get a gasket kit for rebuilding it. I'll let you khow what happens and post again! Thanks :p

Tinkerer

Check if it's safe to soak your particular carb in carb cleaner. Some carbs have a sealant on the porous body that is destroyed by soaking in carb cleaners, rendering carb useless. <br /><br />I bet you wish I'd give you some good news for a change.

jagged

Seaman Apprentice

Well could i just use a cleaner or anything that would be safe for it one way or another? Whats out there?