Outboard checkout

Butch1

Cadet
Good morning all, I expect to be looking at a few boats (used) next week, my question is: can one get a decent indication of running condition using muffs in someone's driveway or is a water test (outside of compression) the only way to get a good idea of how it's gonna run. Thanks in advance, Barry. Oh, the price range I will be looking at is $1500-2000. if that makes any difference.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outboard checkout

sea trial and compression test,,if either can not be done do not purchase,,motors may sound great in the driveway,,under load totally different animal,,,even for the short dollars you are investing in this soon to be expense,,,,:D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A boat that can be on-the-water demonstrated is worth about twice as much as one that can only be run with no load in a driveway.

Butch1

Cadet

A boat that can be on-the-water demonstrated is worth about twice as much as one that can only be run with no load in a driveway.

Wow, now I'm thinking might be a good idea to spend a hundred or so and have a mechanic do a look-see on any potential purchase. I've been reading here a good month or so and learned a lot, Since I've never been around outboards I wouldn't recognize tell-tale problem sounds like I can in a car. Thanks for the input guys..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My current outboard runs like a dream in my driveway. Once in the water though, it stalls going into gear. So what I'm saying is, an on land test isn't a great indicator.

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought a boat a month ago and went on a test run on a river. The outboard did well. I would not have paid what I did without a test run at least.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Every boat purchased (all used) were checked out by my mechanic. He would vouch for the condition of the outboard, but defer any opinion on the hull since that's not his niche. I've never been dissappointed. That, coupled with a test drive on the water is the "cat's meow."

Oh, BTW, go over hull and trailer as if you are meticulously washing every nook and cranny. The will help take off the blinders from a starry-eyed potential boat owner.

And, ask if anchor, coast guard equipment and other supplies come with the boat. I found the anchor removed after getting on the water for a weekend fishing. It was there when I looked at the boat, but not after I purchased it. I didn't confirm it, so I didn't pursue it. The guy was a cheapskate.

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sold the Downriggers that were on my boat that I was never going to use. That took a $140 off the price I paid.

So that is another way to look at things.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can tell the basic conditon of an outbaord without a water test. You need to do a compression test and inspect the condition of the gear oil. If the compression is good, and the gear oil looks used but free of metal and water, the gears are very likely good, and the motor should develop the expect power.

You cannot test the motor+boat performance or motor tune up condition without a water test. However, if you have experience with similar set-ups, you will know if the boat will perform adequately. You may end up needing to link and synch after a rebuild of the carbs. You need to advise the seller of your risk, and attempt to set price accordingly.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

One other option is to purchase a boat with a toasted motor like I did. The condition is an undeniable known quantity ;) (Actually there's a chance it can be rescued for minimal money which would put me well ahead of the game.)