Outboard Change

bay5884

Seaman
I currently have a little 14' 87 Bayliner Capri open bow that USED to have a 50hp force attached (it's currently on a stand in my basement with a nice hole in the side of a cylinder wall and needle bearings flung throughout the engine case). I've been told that the boat is probably worth more without an engine than with the force on it...couple paddles and I'd say that they're right! :p <br /><br />Anyway, in an effort to "continue increasing the little turd's value" :D , I plan on repowering with something else before the ice is off. Does anyone know of an engine that I could pick up that would use the same throttle/shift, steering cables without having to switch them out too? If anyone has repowered the same boat, I'd appreciate any input. Oh...I'm looking at spending around $1000 (hopefully a little less) on a used 50-60hp. Thanks in advance for the help

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard Change

I don't know of an engine for sale, but I would look at the Mercurys of the early to mid 70's era. Most of the linkage should come close to matching and there are adapters for the throttle/shift cables ends if needed. Steering linkage should not be an issue. What is the maximum HP rating for the boat?? 50 HP should do just fine on that size...

bay5884

Seaman

Sorry, just to clarify....I'm not looking for someone with an engine for sale, just wondering what might be my best bet.<br /><br />Thanks all!

bay5884

Seaman

RB, yes the boat is only rated for a 50hp...I was just figuring that I could baby something a little bigger if I found one i couldn't pass up..maybe help it last a little longer. I definitely wouldn't go anything over 60 and would probably get more azz out of a 50hp "anything but force" anyway. <br /><br />I've been looking at classifieds online just to get an idea of price and thought I could probably get into the 80's with around $1000. Way off base?<br /><br />Just figured I'd see if I really needed to concentrate on finding an engine with all the controls, cables or if there was a selection that I could just mount and go. Thanks