Outboard change Force to Johnson

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all...I am soon to be in the process of replacing a 87 50hp Force (US MArine) with a 92 Johnson 48 special. My question is, it looks like the old steering components can stay, but does anyone know if the US Marine shift control box and cable is going to work for me or will I have to find a J/E/OMC for it? The boat is a 87 Bayliner. Anyone gone through this or shed any light on it for me?<br /><br />Oh...also I'm having trouble removing the old steering end/stem out. The prev owner just cut the cable off. Is this just a matter of getting a bigger hammer? :eek: <br /><br />Thanks

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Outboard change Force to Johnson

You will have to use the OMC harness, and control's. The steering arm can become quite stuck with old grease, and corrosion. Get a piece of steel rod to use as a drift to drive it out. Clean tube with a wire brush in a drill to clean out the steering tube.

angus63

Captain

By the way, if you have a USMARINE tach, alot of the models are not setup for a 6 pulse OMC motor and will need replacing.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. No tach (just a 14' bayliner) so no problems there. I think I will install one eventually though. Figured it was just a matter of "hit it harder" with the steering arm!