Out Of Oil

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class
A lot of folks can't understand <br />how we came to have <br />an oil shortage here in America. <br />~~~ <br />Well, there's a very simple answer. <br />~~~ <br />Nobody bothered to check the oil. <br />~~~ <br />We just didn't know we were getting low. <br />~~~ <br />The reason for that is purely geographical. ~~~ <br />Our OIL is located in <br />~~~ <br />Alaska <br />~~~ <br />California <br />~~~ <br />Oklahoma <br />and <br />TEXAS <br />~~~ <br />~~~ <br />Our <br />DIPSTICKS <br />are located in <br />Washington DC <br />~~~ <br />McLeodUSA StarQuality Certified

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Out Of Oil

What happened to the food for oil ptogram? How come we are not getting Iraq oil?<br /><br />The projected $105 a barrell stinks!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Dipsticks in Washington is correct! They get a gas card and car paid by us. They have no clue on how the price of oil effects the common citizen. <br /><br />Wonder if the truckers go on strike if anyone would notice? I remember in the 70's after their strike, the oil leveled off. If you wasn't old enough to remember it, that strike was like the nations largest snow storm. Nothing was moving, stores were empty, and products couldn't be trucked. It definitly would create havock today if the truckers would go on strike.

KaGee

Admiral

Hey, don't leave out your local dipsticks from the equation... it all starts there.

Laddies

Banned

Dipsticks in Washington? I thought they were just Crooks

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

I think the price predictions are just self-fullfilling proficies. If they predicted $200 a barrel prices, look for it to happen 2 days later. Not a true prediction just a notification of intent.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

$105 that's just silly! OPEC would never allow that. Alternative energy would become too cost effective, they'd just be pricing themselves right out of the market.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't beleive that we have an oil shortage in the U.S.A., I beleive it is just cheaper for the oil companies to buy foreign oil. It also gives them a finger to point to place false blame instead of owning up to "Enroning".<br />The energy companies gave incentives to cut energy use so that they could charge more for less energy. Think how nice that is for them. "Enronned" again! The automotive industry produced more fuel efficient vehicles, and the oil company's helped by Enronning us again. Now with Hydrogen on the forefront for automotive fuel, the oil companies have a lock on that. So if we buy oil, or cut down on it's use, or go to an alternate fuel, we still get "Enronned".<br />Washington D.C., are you listening to us or the Lobbyist? Sorry but thats a "No Brainer", I lost my head. <br />By the way, who do you think the dipsticks are?

salty87

Commander

back in the 70's, OPEC orchestrated that 'shortage'. that's why it ended and prices came back down. OPEC doesn't have the capacity to meet the world's demands now. they can't control prices like they used to.<br /><br />the only alternative energies that are becoming cost effective is to drill for oil in places where it's more expensive to get it. that just means high prices stay because the oil companies won't sell it for less than it costs them to retrieve it.<br /><br />gspig has it....when news stories say that demand is high and prices will go higher....gas stations and oil companies start charging more. they push the stories.<br /><br />add the fact that no more refineries are being built, geo-political instability, increased demand from India and China and you've got the makings for constant threats of shortages.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Hey, don't leave out your local dipsticks from the equation... it all starts there.
Don't forget the politicians too...............Is that the same as LOCAL DIPSTICKS?

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

You've forgoten about all of the oil the US now has in Iraq ;) ;)

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> Dipsticks in Washington is correct! They get a gas card and car paid by us. They have no clue on how the price of oil effects the common citizen. <br /><br />
I think that we are the dipsticks for putting up with those dirty rotten scoundrels :mad:

levittownnick

While I was ranting I forgot to add that we may as well give them our SS money to manage, but please don't do it in this lifetime.

cmyers_uk

The amount of oil in the ground isnt the problem its just with China and India's demand increasing so much and the developed worlds thirst there isnt the capacity to get it and refine it quick enough to meet demand. As the price rises so does the incentive to make the capital purchases to setup the wells and build the refineries. For example nobodys going to want to bother drilling oil in Alaska at $10 a barrel. At $50 it starts looking worth while.

fireman57

Captain

All of the oil companies right now are sitting on more cash than they have had in a long time. They are all posting record profits. That ought to tell us dipsticks something. Buy their stock.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Guess what... the oil company is laughing all the way to the bank. They just love the stories of oil price going up to $105 pb. That means more profit for their investers. God forbid if one of the reporter would say that the US oil inventory is overflowing and brought the oil price down... he would be fired from his job the next instant. Too many dipsticks in Washington has interest in the oil company to allow that to happen. my 2 cents worth.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by fireman57:<br /> All of the oil companies right now are sitting on more cash than they have had in a long time. They are all posting record profits. That ought to tell us dipsticks something. Buy their stock.
As of their last quarterly SEC filing, Exxon-Mobil alone had enough cash, I said --*CASH*--, to buy all of the outstanding stock of every airline in the United States seven times, that's right, 7 times!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its arright folks. donald Rumsfield said when we get out of Iraq gas will be a buck a gallon. said it with his own lips. I saw it on the TV. soon as we get OUR Iraqi oil squared away and get the air bases built in afghanistan to protect the afghan pipe line oil will flow like water. couse some in our current administration will also make a tidy profit but that is beside the point. ol Chavez down south is making noises that he is no longer going to sell oil to the states but to china. I told my honey its ok, if he does that we will destabilze venezuela,most likly with brazil or columbia, then the next leader we install will keep the oil flowing in the right direction. any one up for wagers ?? :) <br /> oh and the dummy is selling off CITGO, a wholly owned venezuelan company.