Out of Control Steering

stompie

Cadet
Hi All,

I have a 16ft centre consol with two 60hp mercury big foots. This weekend the steering cable worked its self loose from behind the steering wheel (worm gear came right out). After manually steering back to the ramp I noticed some of the bolts had worked loose. When going at WOT I have to hang on to the steering with all my might otherwise is ducks off to the right throwing all overboard. I noticed that trim tabs on the motors (the little fins near the cavitation plate) have almost totally eroded, could this be causing my steering problem? Could the force of holding the steering all the time cause damage to the cable's worm gear causing is to slide out?

If I get new trim tabs how do you set them up in a dual motor setup? Do you lift one motor out of the water and set them up individually or is there another way?

Would really appreciate some help.:confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Out of Control Steering

The trim tab anodes need to be replaced and readjusted.
1. If boat tends to pull to the right, move the rear
edge of the trim tab to the right.
2. If boat tends to pull to the left, move the rear edge
of the trim tab to the left.
Adjust it for your NORMAL cruising speed, faster or slower will result in some minor pull.
You can do one at a time, just try to keep them equal so they don't fight each other.
You can also replace your steering system with either a new No Feedback cable system or hydraulic. Then you won't feel any pull at any speed.

Don S

Moving to Boat Topics and Questions (not engine)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Those big foots are really long shafts aren't they? Where are the anti-Ventilation plates relative to the bottom? I don't think this is as simple as your trim tabs . . . Sounds waay more violent than that. Could be, but I think you have more than one thing going on . . .

JB

If you ever wondered why most twin installations counter rotate you now have an answer.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yup ^^^^^ missed that . . .

D

DJ

1. Check engine height, as mentioned.

2. Yes, you need those trim tabs, as mentioned.

3. Twin engines need to be set up with a slight "toe in". That means, at rest, the engines are not perfectly straight. The engine tillers (cable/link arm attachments) are toed in toward each other. They are usually set about 1/2" in. Check with a Merc. dealer regarding twin engine set up. They are all different.

The toe in cancels some but not all steering torque. The trim tabs do some more.

4. Yes, that "fighting" the steering led to its early demise.

5. Steering systems are available here on iboats at great prices. I would strongly consider a NFB (no feedback) or a hydraulic system.