Out drive Removed

PT

Seaman
I finally go the nerve up today to remove the drive, the drive shaft bellow had old gear oil ( Dark Brown)in color in it, I belive this was from 3 years ago when i paid a mechanic to put new seals all thru the drive & he didnt take the time to clean it out, I removed the gear oil dip stick to see what the gear oil in there looked like compare it to the oil i saw in shaft bellow, it was a yellowish color, which is why i belive the mechanic just didnt take the time to remove it.I felt the ginbal bearing & it had some ruffness, so I will try to remove it ,The shaft bellow looked to be ok to me, maybe Ill leave the oil in there to keep it soft, is this a bad ideal? I checked the U Joints other than some gear oil on them they were smooth so Ill probably just add some grease to them.The way i see it, I need the Gear housing to Pivot Gasket,the large rubber seal at the shaft entrance on the pivot housing,small rubber seal (i think this is the water port on the pivot side), the exhaust bellow has a slit on the pivot side at the top, I dont see where this could cause any problems.I thinks thats about it , any thing else i need to check? Ummm where is a good site to order these things from? Big thank you for all who got me this far :D

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Out drive Removed

are u sure that's not water in that bellows? if the gimbal bearing sounds rough if could have come in contact with water. replace it. check that bellows again & make sure there's not a cut in it allowing water to get in. or it could be that it wasen't sealed up with bellows adhesive around the bore. there should not be any water or gear oil in there. i would definately also put fresh gear oil in the drive. good luck.

PT

Seaman

Thanks CF,I will check that out since i have time before parts get here , have not ordered them yet till i know for sure what all i need. I really belive the mechanic that worked on it 3 years ago did a shabby job, when i took the drive off it looked like the old Gear housing to Pivot Gasket was reused & i would say 45% of the gasket was not even on there :mad: Stands for reason water could have gotten in there.. See i asked this guy who is a boat mechanic to replace all seals in the drive for $350 & what he done was replace the easy ones & tell me it was ready , well put it in water , water back in drive, take it back , did that all summer the 1st year i had the boat after taking it back 4 times he finally finished it but i think he was upset so he didnt spend the money for a new gasket , just my opinion. Live & Learn

PT

Seaman

another ?. Is the Universal joint bearing & the Gimbal bearing the same bearing?

Monte Cryts

Cadet

Not nessecarily, the u-joint bearing are actualy the small pin bearings under each of the four caps on the ends of the u-joint. The gimble bearing is the bearing around the drive shaft. it is kind of big in diameter. Personaly,I have never heard anyone misslable the gimble as a u-joint bearing.