Out Drive Oil

golver

Seaman Apprentice
How often do you have to change the oil in the outdrive? How can you tell if it is full? How much should it take? Lastly I have an 83 Wellcraft V20 with a mercruiser outdrive, how do I properly drain and replace?<br /><br />I tried last year, but I don't think I got much in. I think I may have gotten about half the quart size container in. I tried following the instructions, but it just didn't seem right. I have not started the boat since putting in the 1/2 quart last year.

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Out Drive Oil

golver, to fill that lower you must locate the vent plug as well as the fill plug. the fill plug is on the bottom of lower unit and the vent plug looks just like the fill plug and should be somewhere above the fill plug. you did not mention what the drive model is.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

At least once a year. More if you use it more than 50 hours. Pump, [special pump] through the bottom hole in your drive until it comes out the vent hole on top. Replace vent screw, {new gaskets] and bottom screw. You really should get your self a manual.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would guess with a 20' boat, that you have an Alpha I drive, and if you only put a half quart of gear lube in the drive last year, after draining it, you probably now need a new drive. It holds a little over 2 quarts.<br />Here is a link you may find very handy.<br /><br /> http://www.mercstuff.com/howdoi.htm

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

My removal of the Alpha 1 (Gen II?? for 1998?) outdrive last year was discussed on this forum. After I had 2 buddies helped me put it back on, and after consulting the manual, I pumped using an outdrive oil pump at the bottom hole close to 2 quarts, then the excess came out of the vent hole. My first time to do this thing. I kept watching the vent hole and never thought the oil would ever come out. Did not expect the drive to consume that much oil. After 3 hours on the water and checking twice the vent hole again, the outdrive was full of it. The reservoir level dropped onthe first trip but it maintained at full on the second trip. I must have done something right. The mercstuff link by Don S also helped me a lot.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If it is an Alpha 1, gen 1, it will hold more than 1/2 quart, but not more than two. It will actually hold a little more than one quart - 36 ozs I believe.

golver

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I did not run the drive since putting the 1/2 quart in the unit. So no damage. Whew.<br /><br />Do I need to get the old oil out? <br /><br />Is there a better way of putting the oil in. I was given a quart bottle with a caulking tube type nozzle on it. I was told to stick the nozzle in the fill hole and sqeeze the bottle.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

I would open the fill/lower hole, let the oil spill out and start all over. It's just 1/2 quart you put it in last year. Also this way it's empty, you will know exactly how much is going inside. How di you put the oil last year? From the top?<br /><br />I bought for $7 an oil drive pump. At the nozzle it has threads so you can screw the hoze right into the hole, like a bolt. The pumping and weight of the oil will come oozing back out if you have no control, but the hose will stay put if you thread it on. The other end of the pump you screw it on the mouth of the oil bottle. Just keep pumping. If you ran short, get another quart and pump until oil comes out of the vent/upper hole (then you know it's full).Close the vent hose when there's no evidence of air in the oil. Then close the lower hole. Make sure the outdrive is in down position as you do this. <br /><br />First time I did this refilling last month, I did not trust myself. It was nothing at all.

vipzach

Lieutenant

If the weather is not very warm there, pull the lower plug and let drain over night. Go to walmart and buy a pump that fits in the drive oil bottle and fill it up with that. They are like $7. Always fill from the bottom and keep pumping until the oil comes out the the plug on the side. I personally use the synthetic merc oil for my Alpha 1 Gen 1.

golver

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome. Thanks. That was the info I was looking for.

golver

Seaman Apprentice

What does "If the weather is not very warm there" mean? It is in the 80's here. As long as I dont run the boat, why does the temp matter? I was going to drain it tomorrow night and refill on Friday. This is a bad idea if the weather is to warm?

vipzach

Lieutenant

Sorry, should have explained what I meant. The first time I drained my outdrive it was in the low 50's outside, I let it drain for about 20 minutes....long story short I didn't get it all out. IF it is warm, the oil will simply flow out easier and maybe you won't have to let it drip all night. Sorry about that. <br /> :D