Our Troops

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I watched the news this evening and saw an interesting article about 19 service members from the 343 Quartermasters refuse to make a run to a small town north of Bagdhad. The refusal was due to no armour on the tankers. They were carrying contaminated fuel, for what purpose was not stated.<br /> The report stated they were being detained, possibly charged with mutiny.<br /><br /> As I was at an Air Force base this morning on business and in talking to an E-8 I met the subject of recruitment goals came up and during the conversation he asked me if I had heard any information on the numbers of AWOL's. He said currently the army alone had slightly over 1700 listed as AWOL. <br /><br /> Does anyone have any further information about these two subjects?

RetNav

Re: Our Troops

I just found some more information on the refusal by some members of the 343rd on msnbc.com. Still haven't found anything on the numbers of awol's.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am waiting for an Email from Pvt. Stephen Armstrong, who is in Iraq. He only gets to Email every 2 or 3 weeks.<br /><br />He will send me a photo of himself and his Sgt. with their Hummer, which sports one of those magnetic ribbons. . . red, white and blue. . .that says, "Support Our Troops".<br /><br />Stephen told his Aunt, who is my housekeeper and sent him the ribbon, that the ribbon created a great stir in his unit and boosted morale greatly. He requested more ribbons, which I sent to him via Aunt Jeanne.<br /><br />Aunt Jeanne tells me he was thrilled at the tangible evidence that we here at home are behind him. We can thank the media for any doubts he had.<br /><br />Stephen also reported that his unit will vote, 100%, for our, and their, President. He also said that, given the choice, all would stay there to finish the job.<br /><br />Very different picture than painted by our media, Huh?<br /><br />Some editor on NBC screwed up today and allowed the local news in Dallas to report that the Annenberg Foundation survey of military members and their families found 70% intending to vote for GWB.<br /><br />If that is what our troops want, let's support them. :D <br /><br />I will post Stephen's Email and picture here when I get it.

RetNav

Appreciate the info JB, and am looking forward to any further information and the pictures.

bubbakat

Captain

Just had a young leather get back from his tour over there. I will ask him about some of the AWOL'S and refusals we are hearing now.<br />This young man went over with the attitude of a youngster and when we had supper last night and I welcomed him home I saw a seriousness I have never saw in his eyes before.<br />Being an ole vet. I almost bet I could tell you where it came from.<br />JB if you can furnish some Addy's to send to I will start a drive within the dept. here and send some over to the troops.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Awols wouldn't surprise me. Odds are, there are awols and suicides occuring not because of stress on the battlefield, but from stress at home. There is an unfortunate problem with wives of soldiers who are deployed overseas who have a hard time being without their husbands and end up straying. It certainly does not happen to all married soldiers, but it happens to a lot of married soldiers. Dear John letters can cause a soldier to do some interesting things, from suicide to AWOL. I can't even say how many times I have seen soldiers go awol or kill themselves, and almost all of them occured because of trouble in their marriage. In Korea, a soldiers body would be found about every month or so. Sometimes overdose, sometimes hangings. In my unit in Ft Stewart I had finished PT and was walking out to my car. A soldier had gone out to his car and shot himself because his wife was unfaithful. We had another guy shoot his wife and himself in their car while driving down the highway. That was a mess, I can tell you. I either witnessed directly or learned of suicides in every unit I was stationed in. I personally was ravaged by the Dear John syndrome while deployed, but I chose the "get your crap out of my house" technique. Military life is very difficult, you have to have an exceptional spouse who can handle the pressures. Most married soldiers marry young, and they marry women who just want the perceived meal ticket the military provides. They are weak women, and when they are needed to support their man, they instead cheat. Imagine being in Iraq, dealing with the day to day pressure, and recieving a letter telling you that your wife has met someone else. It is debilitating. This is all stuff that is not discussed by the media or anyone else, and is unfortunate, because it is a real problem. Of course, my ramblings have little to do with the fuel convoy issue, just thought I would express something I am sure is going on over there. Okay, I'm done....

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

There are AWOLS and UA's (Unauthorized Absence) all the time in the military. Do these numbers just reflect in theater personnell? Or is this a Military Wide figure? How long have these AWOL's been listed on the books? This could be very a misleading statistic. <br />There are 1,400,000 active duty personnel in the military, and once listed as AWOL, that status can remain for a long time.<br /><br />One other thing. Although a lot of people will think that Jason's description is a bit dramatic, and sterotypical, it is much more accurate than most know. I spent 6 years in the Navy, and the number of "West Pac Widows" (wives who are out on the town while thier husbands are on Western Pacific Tours) was unbelievable. I knew many men who came home from 4 and 6 month deployments to find wives 2, 3, and 4 months pregnant, and when we came back from Beruit, after 13 months away, there were 22 divorces in my division alone, out of 200 men. (8 of these had pregnant wives when they got back.)<br /><br />I am sure it happens for the female personnel, just the same way.<br /><br />Military life is not easy, and a lot of these young people undertake it a little bit lightly.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

SW, this is off subject, but that is a very unique Avatar you have there.