Our soldiers report to who?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Was anyone watching CNN tonight when the reporter was trying to tell a soldier to get out of his way so he could shoot dead bodies in NO? When the soldier refused the reporter began to shove a cell phone with his lawyer on the line in the soldier's face. <br /><br />I felt terrible for the soldier who is suppose to take his orders from military command being forced to answer to lawyers. He was far nicer than I would have been and simply walked away without answering. It actually turned my stomach. Who is running this country?

KRS

Banned
Re: Our soldiers report to who?

I think the video showed the sick reality.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

When crap like this happens, the military should have the authority to confiscate the reporters gear and lock them up. Then let the attorney go bail him out. Maybe lock up the attorney also until things settle down.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

poor soldier, however he was wrong. legally he cannot block the reporter even though ethically he should be allowed to shove the reporters cam where the sun dont shine. I watched the interview with the colnel in charge and the policy is not to take reporters to areas where its suspected bodies will be. its not law just a policy.<br /> myself I think CNN and others have been very restrained in not showing bodies, at least not yet. the military policy is not to film areas and show bodies until at least the next of kin have been notified,.<br /> while the human side of me agrees with mayfloat the legal side that supports freedom of the press cannot. however I do think reporters should police themselves or at least know if they cannot they will be fired.<br /> however it does put the poor enlisted ground pounder in a very bad position. for that I feel sorry for him. the ground pounder could always give the laweyer on the cell the number to his lawyer at base legal. once a lawyer is notified that the opposing party has a lawyer he is not allowed anymore direct contact with the person. it must all go between the lawyers.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sorry to say, that the soldier is wrong if he takes orders from any civilian other than the President or has orders to follow the said civilian's orders. The reporter's lawyer needs to talk to the soldier's commander and the unit's JAG officier. A soldier also CAN disobey an illegal order. Had I been the soldier, I would follow the commander's orders. The photo-op would long be over by the time the case hit the courts.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Why do they need to show the bodies? We know there are fatalities. We know that these people were husbands and wives, sons and daughters, sisters and brothers. Does it make it a better story when they show the dead? What is the point they're trying to make? <br /><br /> I can see showing the dead if a crime has been committed or an atrocity of some sort to illustrate the heinous nature of the crime, but after a natural disaster? I for one do not need to see the dead bodies- I know they are there. <br /><br /> Sensationalism is poor journalism in my opinion. It's fitting of most outlets anymore unfortunately. <br /><br />UFM82

oddjob

Commander

What gspig said...Civilians have no authority over the military. However, if the soldier was thinking on his feet he would accepted the phone and chucked it. And if the reporter shoved me he would have been face down on the pavement until the MP's or local police arrived.

rottenray6402

Ensign

During W W 2 If the press had been as rabid about trying to make our country and military look bad at every opportunity we probably would all be speaking German or Japanese. The freedom of the press is one of the main building blocks of our country and constition but it has to be done with responsibiliy and accountability on their part. It makes me sick to hear of a soldier being brought up on some sort of charge's for doing his job. Mistakes happen in war and if a soldier has to worry every minute about being charged with a crime for following orders it has to kill the purpose and the morale. I think that if the press followed a little restraint in reporting these matters we would all be better off.

RichP1269

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I may be mistaken, but wasn't the area declared to be under martial law? If so, then the reporter has no ground to stand on. Among other things, martial law suspends your contitutional right to freedom of speech.<br />Please correct me if I am wrong.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

good answer, Rich!<br /><br />in Texas, we know how to handle unwelcome reporters:<br /><br />
is4813000686030.jpg
is9243000686474.jpg
<br /><br />(Kenny Rogers, June 29, 2005, Arlington, TX)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Rich,<br /><br />You are correct but CNN sued a couple of days ago to be allowed to go anywhere under freedom of the press. Liberal judge agreed and enjoined the military to let the reporters do whatever they want. <br /><br />Problem is, the soldier was too busy saving people to even know that some liberal judge said the press could exploit them. It appeared that the reporter never did get the video, but whinned like the class pansy.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Was anyone watching CNN tonight when the reporter was trying to tell a soldier to get out of his way so he could shoot dead bodies in NO? When the soldier refused the reporter began to shove a cell phone with his lawyer on the line in the soldier's face."<br /><br />Is there any video of that online? I would LOVE to forward that to my State Rep. Pat Tiberi, he will go nuclear when he sees it, if he hasn't already seen it.

D

DJ

and the policy is not to take reporters to areas where its suspected bodies will be. its not law just a policy.<br />
The problem is, they are already there.<br /><br />That whole situation sickens me.<br /><br />Ratings over decency wins every time. And ALL of us eat it up. Look in the mirror.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

myself I totally areee. no body shots. having seen some after several days in the water and 90* heat before its just not something ya put on the TV. take the pics in case its needed but dont air it on the TV. I would npt like to have me or mine shown on CNN or others after drowning.<br /> show all the devestation ya want but keep the body shots off air. not needed nor respectful.