Our new boat! Thank You!!!

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sincerest special thanks to the many forum members who gave advice and input on boat and engine sizes and styles. We went bigger in both boat and motor than where we started based on advice and input given herein. (<-DH says thanks!) and I'm so glad I listened to the folks who recommended Sport Seating. Your advice, experience and input was invaluable and your willingness to share it very much appreciated. I told DH we should name her "iboat." Without y'all I don't know that we would have her.

19' 1996 Chaparral 1930 SS Sport 5.7 350 Mercruiser Alpha Outdrive. Here she is when DH brought her home. She was sitting in the marina for five weeks and is going back for a pro-scrubbing but DH couldn't bear not to bring her home to the wife and kids first. ;)

IMG_3005.jpg

I think they love it. Note the OCD 13 year old obsessively rinsing in the background. We assured her it will be cleaned later this week but I'm not sure she could have slept last night with the grunge left unchecked.

IMG_3024.jpg

---

So how can a smartphone set you back $9k?

I used CL Mobile to set an alert to let me know the minute my "dream boat" (Four Winns Horizon 190) was posted.
Set the alert wrong.
Leave Church Sunday afternoon, receive alert at 12:21 p.m. on a new posting for a 1996 Chaparral 1930 SS V8 Merc (See: "Set alert wrong" above).
Call Seller at 12:21.5 (To his astonished "I've received three calls already!")
Meet him at his marina where he immediately offers a test drive. The boat is spotless.
Arrange to have boat pulled and inspected the next day by trusted Marina Mechanic who says it's a great boat and if he had to find something wrong with it he'd say that one of the hinges/lifts on the engine cover could use replacing. We knew that. :)
Buy the boat :)

THAT'S how a Smartphone can cost you $9k! :) I like to credit Divine Intervention. I shouldn't have received that alert. I shouldn't have fallen in love with this boat. Did and have.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 0

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Our new (boat - THANK YOU!!! (aka How a smartphone can set you back $9,000 dollar

Re: Our new (boat - THANK YOU!!! (aka How a smartphone can set you back $9,000 dollar

Congratulations!! Got ya one heck of s good looking boat!!

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a nice looking rig. Not a bad price either.

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks! We love it so far. Haven't hit the water yet but it goes great with the house ;)

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! We love it so far. Haven't hit the water yet but it goes great with the house ;)

Good thing, cause around here, they spend more time at the house than on the water just about! lol Speaking of 'around here' I see your from NE Ohio?? Anywhere near East Liverpool, OH? I live on the opposite side of the river from Toronto, OH... in WV

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good thing, cause around here, they spend more time at the house than on the water just about! lol Speaking of 'around here' I see your from NE Ohio?? Anywhere near East Liverpool, OH? I live on the opposite side of the river from Toronto, OH... in WV

We are North of East Liverpool maybe 30-40 minutes in the Columbiana/Salem area.

We are boat-n-camper types for the most part. Kind of like a nomadic people who decamp to the lake for long weekends.

It was cute because the seller is "Marina People" and we are "Trailer People" and while all parties communicated amicably it was clear we really didn't speak each other's language ;)

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

We are North of East Liverpool maybe 30-40 minutes in the Columbiana/Salem area.

We are boat-n-camper types for the most part. Kind of like a nomadic people who decamp to the lake for long weekends.

It was cute because the seller is "Marina People" and we are "Trailer People" and while all parties communicated amicably it was clear we really didn't speak each other's language ;)

Ahh cool! Awesome to find someone else on here that's close to me! lol As for the 'type of people', I have to say we are the same as you all.. We haven't had the chance to load up the family and boat and head out for a weekend yet (10 month old makes it kinda hard since I sold my camper lol). We're already talking about next year when the baby will be old enough to grab our 8-person tent and head out! lol I actually drive right through/past Columbiana quite a few times a year. My dad and I do a decent amount of fishing at Pymatuning, Mosquito and Lake Erie. Went to Berlin Lake once, got lost following his 'memory', GPS got us turned in the right direction, then got us lost again... ended up at Mosquito haha

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ahh cool! Awesome to find someone else on here that's close to me! lol As for the 'type of people', I have to say we are the same as you all.. We haven't had the chance to load up the family and boat and head out for a weekend yet (10 month old makes it kinda hard since I sold my camper lol). We're already talking about next year when the baby will be old enough to grab our 8-person tent and head out! lol I actually drive right through/past Columbiana quite a few times a year. My dad and I do a decent amount of fishing at Pymatuning, Mosquito and Lake Erie. Went to Berlin Lake once, got lost following his 'memory', GPS got us turned in the right direction, then got us lost again... ended up at Mosquito haha

We boat Berlin exclusively. Would love to try Mosquito (what a name), Milton, and West Branch.

We bought a camper last year but prior to that we tented for years. If you decide to go give Berlin a try again. I highly recommend the Army Corps of Engineer's campground (MillCreek Park). Spacious sites, clean restrooms/showers, great playgrounds (if your little one is old enough at that point) good boat ramps. Bonus: Noah's Lost Ark Animal Park is just up the street and you will hear Lions roar. Cool or freaky depending on your mindset. :)

I think they like it ;)

IMG_3007.jpg

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congratulations. Nice boat and looks like a good buy. Didn't really take all that long to find one.

DB Cooper

Cadet

You got a great boat for a great price, and a tandem axle trailer as well. I like to color combo, and I would only buy one with the sport seating. Which V8 does it have the 305/5.0 or the 350/5.7, carb or EFI. I would take this boat over the Four Winns you were lusting after. Now go and enjoy it.

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

We boat Berlin exclusively. Would love to try Mosquito (what a name), Milton, and West Branch.

We bought a camper last year but prior to that we tented for years. If you decide to go give Berlin a try again. I highly recommend the Army Corps of Engineer's campground (MillCreek Park). Spacious sites, clean restrooms/showers, great playgrounds (if your little one is old enough at that point) good boat ramps. Bonus: Noah's Lost Ark Animal Park is just up the street and you will hear Lions roar. Cool or freaky depending on your mindset. :)

I've never actually been on Berlin, but sounds like we should check it out some day.. As for mosquito, it's a nice, big lake.. I've not been all over the lake, only been there to fish and we always launched right at the causeway. We haven't gone much this year as the lake is literally being over-run by some sort of 'grass' that, even in parts that are 12-15' deep, the weeds are only about 10-12" below the surface..

johnmsch

Seaman

Congrats, and welcome to the Chaparral family! I've had mine since custom ordering her in '94, and can't tell you how much fun its been. So many good memories of family and friends, and some really great road trips.

BTW, great story about the cell phone!!!

jkust

Rear Admiral

Hey glad it worked out for you and welcome to Chap ownership. Notice how the fiberglass bottom goes all the way to the outdrive. Thats a big benefit especially in the mid 90's when there were a lot of corners cut and one reason the Chaps ride so nice aside from their heavy build weight. Your first boat isn't supposed to be a Chaparral since you are supposed to first have some other lower level brand so you can appreciate the differences. Just for fun here is the original brochure for your boat. http://forum.chaparralboats.com/publications/brochures/1996/sportboats.pdf

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You got a great boat for a great price, and a tandem axle trailer as well. I like to color combo, and I would only buy one with the sport seating. Which V8 does it have the 305/5.0 or the 350/5.7, carb or EFI. I would take this boat over the Four Winns you were lusting after. Now go and enjoy it.

Thank you and I agree totally (re: the FW. Great boats but I love this one so much more. Just goes to prove what I always try to remember: "sometimes things don't happen the way you think you want them to for a REASON."

I *think* it's the 305/5.0 Carb Mercruiser Alpha Outdrive but I reserve the right to be completely and utterly wrong. :)

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey glad it worked out for you and welcome to Chap ownership. Notice how the fiberglass bottom goes all the way to the outdrive. Thats a big benefit especially in the mid 90's when there were a lot of corners cut and one reason the Chaps ride so nice aside from their heavy build weight. Your first boat isn't supposed to be a Chaparral since you are supposed to first have some other lower level brand so you can appreciate the differences. Just for fun here is the original brochure for your boat. http://forum.chaparralboats.com/publications/brochures/1996/sportboats.pdf

Oh my goodness THANK YOU!!! Not only a fun read but I learned a few new things! :)

Our first boat was an '88 Bayliner Capri and I will ALWAYS be grateful for Little Bay (aka The Minnow ;) for getting us into boating but yes, I can appreciate the difference now. Very much. :)

Despite all my "OMG the market is CRAZY!" the truth is that it took us less than a week to find a boat we loved. Mind you I still think the education I received here and in general is what made all the difference. When this popped up we knew we had to go now. Right then. Not "later." Not "tomorrow." Immediately.

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Congrats, and welcome to the Chaparral family! I've had mine since custom ordering her in '94, and can't tell you how much fun its been. So many good memories of family and friends, and some really great road trips.

BTW, great story about the cell phone!!!

Thanks and I do believe we should name her "Divine Intervention." :) I won't bore with the details but even upon first seeing her I was still 'stuck' on the other boat (I can't fathom why now) and my 13 yo somewhat sternly referenced the Pastor's sermon that morning (on not getting "stuck" and on moving forward). It was needed :) Now I shudder to imagine we might have passed on her.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Oh my goodness THANK YOU!!! We have one in the packet they gave us but I love seeing the online stuff. It's fun to read. :)

Our first boat was an '88 Bayliner Capri and I will ALWAYS be grateful for Little Bay (aka The Minnow ;) for getting us into boating but yes, I can appreciate the difference now. Very much. :)

Despite all my "OMG the market is CRAZY!" the truth is that it took us less than a week to find a boat we loved. Mind you I still think the education I received here and in general is what made all the difference. When this popped up we knew we had to go now. Right then. Not "later." Not "tomorrow." Immediately.

Your welcome. Funny thing is we also have a 1984 Bayliner Capri with the 85hp engine. Obviously our Sig boat and our BL aren't in the same stratosphere but It's like having a classic car but hasn't seen the light of day in a few years. I'll tell you looking at that brochure, I'm amazed how nice a boat your 96 is.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Our new boat! Thank You!!!

...I like to credit Divine Intervention...
It's nice to know He's okay with boat, huh? :)

Great post. Congratulations on the buy and enjoy!

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Congratulations. Nice boat and looks like a good buy. Didn't really take all that long to find one.

FOUR whole agonizing days! :)

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Our new boat! Thank You!!!

It's nice to know He's okay with boat, huh? :)

Great post. Congratulations on the buy and enjoy!

I'd like to think so :)

We can't wait! Have lots of plans already made that are keeping us from the water. Daughter and I decided that it's like Christmas. The anticipation makes it that much better :)