Our 1991 2200 Cuddy Cabin

Maclin

Admiral
I have one here in the middle of Kansas, bought it in June 2006. It is a 1991 2200 Cuddy 570 Volvo Penta 290 DuoProp.

The exterior is dull, but this one runs great. I tuned it up and rebuilt the carb and put on new filters and belts last year. This year I put new B5 props on, the old B7's were in terrible condition. Hits 47+ at 4600rpm by the speedo, last year with the old nasty B7 props 42 was about it. We do mostly watersports towing and light cruising on small lakes so the B5's are perfect. Lots of low-end grunt, and perfect cruising at 35 mph at about 3500rpm. This year I put on drive bellows, ujoints, outdrive raw water intake neck and hose, impeller, thermostat, and installed an after market water temp gauge as I did not trust the stock one. Temp is steady, and the engine and props are smooth running. Planes fast, turns flatter than flat at speed. Great boats.

I found this one thru iboats....it was at the Lake Perry Yacht and Marina in Perry, Kansas, kind of between Topeka and Lawrence. Very good people to deal with, up front with the condition and they did make sure it was seaworthy. Good price, but lots of work needed on the interior. The cabin was in ok condition, but the folding seats were unusable, the boxes fell apart so bad I could hardly find a place to hold them and lift them out of the boat! I mounted 4 Recaro buckets on plastic boxes back to back, imitating the foldout seat arrangement. I had to reinforce the engine box. I also reinforced the bottom of the jump seats with the plasic deck "wood". Pretty solid and comfortable now. I found a convertible top on ebay for $20! We really enjoy that add-on. With this style of top I can leave it up while cruising at any speed, it makes lot of difference for the sun-sensitive driver (me!) out on the lake.

Attachments

• HPIM1193_wallpaper.jpg
    HPIM1193_wallpaper.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ATT7822759.jpg
    ATT7822759.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 0
  • On Plane at Marion Lake.jpg
    On Plane at Marion Lake.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat_Web_size.jpg
    Boat_Web_size.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

guppie

Recruit
Re: Our 1991 2200 Cuddy Cabin

Hi there! I have been trying to figure out what type of engine my Dad has in his boat. I stumbled across iboats and your posts. Your boat is the twin of my Dads. (not identical though) His is a 1991 hydroswift open bow. The colors are identical. I think the engine must be the same. It looks similar. I want to go out to his place and get some more info though. The engine color and layout look similar. His outboard is a Penta Dp-CD Trim? We have a couple of issues with the boat and are trying to resolve them. We noticed water spewing out of the bottom of the engine yesterday out of a hole. We think it must be designed that way but had never noticed it before.
Anyways, I will post some pictures soon. We are also looking in to replacing the props. What are you running? We hit a sandbar and need to have the aluminum ones resurfaced. Thanks for your time. Looking forward to conversing with you. guppie

Maclin

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!

Where are you from and where do you boat at? I am living in Texas now but the boat and RV sre still up in Kansas and we just head back there for camping and boating with my brother.

The DP-CD Trim is what my outdrive unit says also. It is like a 290DP, one of the Volvo experts here calls it a DP-A drive. But, anything you read about a 290DP will apply most likely.

My engine is called a couple of different things by Volvo. One is AQ271C the other is 570. It is a 350 cubic inch GM V8 with a Holley 4bbl carb. It has 275 horsepower at the engine and 245 or so horsepower at the propeller shaft. When I order engine parts I look them up for an AQ271C. Drive parts are looked up for a 290DP.

I run a B5 set of props, stock for this boat were B7's. I have several reasons for running B5's over the B7's, but mainly the lake we have is so small that
we never just get in and cruise for an hour, you can get from one end to the other in about 10 minutes! We do mainly towing watersports and have a lot of people and coolers in the boat, the B5's can pull anything up with minimal throttle and can hit 45+ mph loaded, can cruise at 40mph under almost any conditions.

You did not say exactly where it was coming from, but water spraying from the engine is never good! I wouldn't mind trying to help you some now, just keep in mind I am not a boat mechanic but I have learned a lot about my boat here on iboats. If I get stumped then I will have you post in the main Merc/OMC/Volvo I/O section, that will almost certainly get answers. What part of the engine is the water coming from? The front, or side, or back, is it towards the top or from the bottom? How much water is coming out? Does it come out only when the engine is running? Or does it come out anytime the engine flushers are on or just in the water?

Lots of good help on this board, don't be afraid to post a question or two in the main Merc/OMC/Volvo Inboard/outboard section. Be sure to give all the info you have on the year and type of engine and drive. Yours will be a 1991 Volvo Penta 5.7l AQ271C with DP-A drive. That pretty much tells it all for the engine and drive. Then describe the problem and when it happens, give all the details you can think of like speed, rpm, idling, on plane etc. Provide pics if possible.

guppie

Recruit

Thanks for the help. I think we figured out the problem with the water. It looks like the freeze plug on bottom rusted out and cracked. What a relief!Sounds ike an easy fix. We are in Utah. My Dad is in South Jordan and I am in Saratoga Springs. I live right by Utah Lake. It is a huge Lake. Not the prettiest lake, but it's huge and really convenient. We mainly do watersports like Wakeboarding and tubing. We just put a new tower on last week. It seems to work great!. My Dad is in the process of swapping out our d-6 props for d-5 ones. The place we go charges $135 to resurface them and always has newly resurfaced ones in stock. They are more than willing to swap out different pitches. I am excited to try the d-5's to see how they run. Do you use stainless? I have heard they make a difference, but they are way expensive. I think the most we have got the boat to go is 38 mph. We have done some work since then so it's probably time to test it out anyways. I will try to get some pictures up in the next couple of days. Thans again, Guppie.

Maclin

Admiral

For your drive the props would be B series for aluminum and C series for Stainless. The D series is aluminum but for the newer SX and DPX drives, not the older Swedish drives like ours. The newer drive Stainless props are F series.

I run aluminum ones, B5. The B7 set I got with the boat (it was a Repo) were in such bad shape that I actually picked up 4mph when I went to the new B5's. I got the B7's fixed later and tried them, the engine struggled some out of the hole but did go over 50mph briefly and had more but I do not like to go that fast on the water. I put the B5's back on for the hole shot and on good water I can coax it up to between 46 and 48mph. A normal anytime top speed for my setup now is 45mph. Our lake is at 1300 feet elevation. My speeds are by speedometer, not GPS but I did pace a friend who had GPS and his numbers were very close to what my speedo showed.

What altitude is your lake? That will make a difference on what propset will work the best, not as much engine power produced above 3500 feet or more.

In the video I posted in another topic here I start out pretty leisurely at about 1/4 throttle thru the turn, then open it up to full (at about 7.5 seconds into the video) when I get past the tubes. Right when it goes behind the trees it is already at top rpm and that day was hitting 46+.....! With just me in it it can hit top RPM (4600) in 7-8 seconds from a dead stop, the DuoProps rule in that situation. fun stuff!