ouch / pictures

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
[colour=null]All of you have been great help to me in the past, and i need your opinion again.
How am i gonna repair this one? We got caught on the lake in a wind storm,tryed to load boat and was slammed to shore into some big rocks.
After loading i inspected damage, this is what i found.Damaged hull, any help would be grateful.
Will marine-tex from i-boats fix this kinda damage?
And if so,how do i use it?
im just sick from looking at this damage. It must be repaired
hull2.JPG

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: ouch / pictures

That's a job for gelcoat. You might want to get an estimate and see if insurance will cover it. Include any gearcase and prop damage.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Jellcoat repair is a spraygun process and much like painting. Gotta get the surfact properly prep'd, right mix, and apply it correctly. If done correctly, the only thing that tells you that you repaired it is the color variation in the old and new gel.

Most of the larger boat mfgrs stock jell coat repair kits that you can order after providing model, year, and color info to them. BTDT

Butttttttt the color is OEM, not 10 years of sun fade!

So, what I would do is 400 grit wet/dry sand the whole area and after you get your repair the way you want it, spray a thin coat of gel over the whole thing.

Mark

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it must be sprayed on , then it a job for the experts. This is a 2005 model, so fading shouldnt be factor. I was afraid of that, thank god for insurance! What really upsets me is No Fishin on the boat till this is fixed.:'(

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

My experience with it was on two boats; one was damaged as I pulled off the dealer's lot I stopped and a guy backed into me.....brand new boat; boy I was fit to be tied.

Later with the same boat I had a problem where the bow and the trailer roller (at the winch) interface. Smashed a hole in the hull somehow. That was back in '71 and I forget the particulars. Both done by professional boat repair centers.

The other was a Caravelle turquois bow rider that had some rock dings on the keel near the bow.

I did the second one and it turned out ok. Don't remember the particulars on that either as it was around '73 but I do remember getting the little bottles of gell coat from the mfgr.

Mark