Orientation of front oil seal in timing cover

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all.<br /><br />This is a question so embarrasingly dumb that I'm ashamed to have to ask it, but I gotta know. <br /><br />I've just installed new timing gears & chain in my 302 Ford. I'm now cleaning up the front cover and am ready to install the oil seal . Here's the question: Does the seal install from inside or outside the cover? I drove the old seal off from inside to outside (at least I think I did). However, it looks like is should go on from the outside! <br /><br /> <br /><br />If anyone can set me straight, I'd appreciate it. <br /><br />Regards, crt.

dick

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Orientation of front oil seal in timing cover

Install from outside of cover with the lip of the seal facing in.<br />Good luck .

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Sorry... Could be either... Ford used two different timing covers on the 302... One with the seal inside (which is dumb :( ), and one with the seal outside (smart :) )...<br /><br />Here's how to tell...<br /><br />If there's a recess for the seal inside the cover that matches the diameter of the flange on the seal, then, the seal goes in from the inside... <br /><br />If no recess inside, then, it goes in from the outside...

dick

Chief Petty Officer

You think if he had the recessed type he couldn't put the seal in the wrong way because it wouldn't fit the hole from the outside.

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone for the help!!! :) <br /><br />Outside it is! <br /><br />Regards, crt.