Optimax 150 Issue

jm_bullard

Seaman
Hello to all you master mechanics out there! I am having an issue with my Optimax, and I hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

First off, it is a 2004 Optimax 150 with about 400 hours. I bought the motor used last year, and installed it on my boat. On my first trip out, a piston scorched (#4 piston). It has been at the mechanic since mid-February (I had to save up my money for the repair). He installed a re-manufactured powerhead and new plugs. When he cranked the motor, he found low fuel and air pressure to the injectors. The air compressor is good, and he changed the pressure regulator. However, it is still showing low pressure.

He called Mercury, and they said this low pressure situation is most likely what caused the scorched piston to begin with. They are supposed to send a rep to examine the motor and make recommendations. I also decided to ask on this forum, and see if you folks had any ideas about the problem. At this point, I am getting pretty deep into the pocketbook. I have had over $6,000 worth of work done so far, and I am not wanting to continue replacing parts until he finds the problem. Any suggestions?

BTW - I am not a mechanic. But at these prices, I may have to go back to school! :D

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Optimax 150 Issue

Hey JM, so sorry to hear of your problems, sounds like you picked up a lemon. I wonder if the seller knew the history and wasn't upfront. Nonetheless, that's really too bad. I wish I could help you out, but what you're describing is way beyond my knowledge.

The reason I posted was to see if you could keep this thread updated as I have the same engine, though a year or two older than yours. Fingers crossed.

jm_bullard

Seaman

NFA, I will post the resolution when the motor gets repaired. I chose this motor because of its reputation after a LOT of research. So far, it has been a money pit. However, my fervent hope is that I will basically have a brand new trouble- free motor after this ordeal, if I can afford the final bill. It may take a while to get a rep to travel to the backwoods of Mississippi, though, so be patient. I will post when (if) it gets fixed.

No one has any ideas on this issue? How about the name of a voodoo priest or priestess that can lift the curse from this motor. :p

jm_bullard

Seaman

Still no ideas?

The motor I replaced on this boat was a Mercury Force. Now, I know a Force isn't a real Mercury, but the past two years have been a myriad of breakdowns and issues with this boat and its motors. I am starting to think I should just get away from Mercury motors altogether. I have had nothing but problems with them.

My 1999 Key West with a 90hp Johnson has had absolutely no issues, and my 1996 Cajun 164 went 11 years on an 88 hp Johnson without any problems at all. I sold it a couple of years back, and the new owner has still not had any problems with it. Any Mercury folks have ANY ideas what the problem could be?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

What are the fuel and air pressures hes getting?

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

i know plenty of people with optimax problems like yours - dont worry your not alone - i cant remember the name of the part but it has to with the injectors -which have had problems themselves even on the 115 models .

jm_bullard

Seaman

What are the fuel and air pressures hes getting?

I'll try to find out tomorrow evening. He is located about 70 miles away, and so I can't just run over to the shop and ask, aggravating as that may be. I will call him for an update on the Merc rep and find out tomorrow. Thanks!

jm_bullard

Seaman

No luck getting in touch with him today. I didn't get out of work until late, and he had apparently left the shop by the time I got a chance to call. Will try again tomorrow.

jm_bullard

Seaman

Issue is resolved. There was an injector stuck in the "open" position. My mechanic seemed a bit embarrassed that this was the problem. However, I am happy that he didn't find another expensive problem. Now I have basically a new motor that I hope will run flawlessly for many years to come, with no expenses other than general maintenance (in my very best PollyAnna voice). :D

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

jm... glad you got to a resolution (and an inexpensive one too)

I just purchased a brand new Optimax 175.... This is good reference information.

Glad its resolved and thanks for sharing.

jm_bullard

Seaman

I'm picking up the boat tomorrow. I'll ask about all the details, and post them when I get home.

jm_bullard

Seaman

Got the boat back, and ran it on the hose. It cranks and idles smoothly, but I won't be able to take it on a sea trial for a couple of weeks. The injector problem was diagnosed by taking them out and visually checking them. This was a suggestion from the Mercury rep the mechanic spoke with. Now I am looking forward to years of trouble-free performance! ;)