Optima-worth the $ or not

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in the market for 2 new deep-cycle batteries. I was at the battery store today and one of the cheaper brands said the reserve capacity was 220. The Optima was a 160 capacity and was still 70 dollars more. Am I missing something here or are there different amp. draws for their advertized reserve amount? If you can chime in and tell me what brand you have run and what kind of results you had it would be great. I just want to justify to Santa Clause why Optima is better providing he is willing to get me these batteries. I need the longest running battery for running a trolling motor that is a Motor Guide that is a 12/24 volt. Thanks in advance

ndemge

Commander
Re: Optima-worth the $ or not

Seems like optima is great for a dune buggy, gets bounced around REALLY bad and can be mounted on it' side.... Personally think your $ is better spent on wet cells

18rabbit

Captain

I feel Optimas are over-priced for what you get. I like AGM’s for starting applications, think the numerous advantages far out-weight the cost factor. They’re really nice for deep cycle applications too (house banks and trolling motors) but I’m not sure the advantages of an AGM justify the cost for those applications, as ndemge suggests. If you don’t mind tossing out a couple bucks more, AGM is the way to go for deep cycling, too.<br /><br />For starting applications – no question, an AGM (but not an Optima).<br />For deep cycle applications – flooded cell (biggest bang for the buck), or AGM (but not an Optima).<br /><br />Without exception, the best AGM battery you can buy is a NorthStar.<br /><br />Heavy Duty Marine – distributed thru Meridian Marine. (the best, not cheap!)<br />Marine Trolling (a.k.a. Dual Pro Lightening) – distributed thru Charging Systems Int’l.<br /><br /> http://www.northstarbattery.com <br /><br />In general, AGM’s tend to be finicky about their charging profile. If you get a couple of them, be sure your charging system is appropriate/matched for an AGM or you can seriously shorten the life of your battery investment.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

"In general, AGM’s tend to be finicky about their charging profile. If you get a couple of them, be sure your charging system is appropriate/matched for an AGM or you can seriously shorten the life of your battery investment." <br /><br />Good point, Rabbit.. This is the most important part..

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. You've been very helpfull. I'll not be buying an Optima

crab bait

Captain

had one ,,hated it..<br /><br />YOU GOTTA HAVE A 3 STAGE CHARGER..<br /><br />if not,, you'll turn a small lite weight epensive battery into a big heavy EXPENSIVE boat anchor...

18rabbit

Captain

Crab bait – are you still sore over that Optima? :D