opperating temp?

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently added a sending unit and temp gauge on my 94 Evinrude 25 2stk. It reads 58-60 degrees. The head of the motor never feels warm to the touch and the front half of the motor and carb have condensation running off of it and is very cold, like ice cold, to the touch. I have been storing my beer under the hood next to the carb to keep it cold while running down the lake on hot days. What to do, or is the refrigerator good to go? The gauge is correct, I just took it off another boat I sold.
New water pump installed and carbs rebuilt. New to me motor just repowered but runs like a scalded dog.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: opperating temp?

Your motor shouldn't be that cold (although, it does seem to be handy). The thermostat should keep the motor around 145 degrees (or so). Maybe the T-stat is stuck open.

Rick.

Captain

Is there a chance your gauge is metric? 60 Celsius is dead on 140 F. LOL. There is a condition that will cause a carb. to ice up but I don't remember what it is. My buddy who is a pilot totally knows about it and it did happen once to an old car I used to own. Not sure what the remedy is but perhaps someone will know. When it happened to my car the carb. bowl was covered in ice and yet the engine was quite warm. I just turned it off waited twenty minutes restarted the car and it never happened again. You should not be getting condensation on a hot day IMO. Best of luck. Rick.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Carbuetors get cold because high velocity air loaded with cool moisture can get very cold. Ever stand in a cold, wind driven rain. Cold isn't it?

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's not metric.