opinions please, going to look at this boat tmo

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class
im going to look at this tmo

1998 scorpion 185 - Peterborough Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji Peterborough Canada.

now the guy was pretty honest, there is no leaks in the hull but the floor has been replaced and i guess pretty badly
now i am mostly interested in it for the motor if i can get it for a good price maybe put a few bucks into the boat to do the floors again and use it for a few summers

what do you guys think? is there anything about the motor to worry about? i have read a few things about replaceing the floor and i will say i am pretty handy and have friends that are carpenters

there is also this one now it looks a little nicer but from what i have heard a motor that is not as good
sunbird 170 corsair - Belleville Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji Belleville Canada.
any opinions would be nice

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: opinions please, going to look at this boat tmo

The Evinrude 120, if it run well, is every bit as good as the VMax that, according to the seller, need the carbs cleaned (that's usually a hint that it need a lot more!). The "bring your own wheels" on the Scorpion ad would be enough to turn me down...

Opnine99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

photo(2).JPGi owned a sunbird stinger corsair .....really enjoyed the boat other than it having an OMC outdrive but the boat itself was actually pretty solid .......3.0 L GM OMC cobra 17' ran out about 40MPH WOT......it was a 96 and I gave 4200 for it in excellent condition. I'm kinda partial to the sunbirds since I had great luck with the one I owned.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Agree with Saumon, If it only needs to have the carbs cleaned why doesn't he do it? :noidea: It would be a much easier sell for him. Assuming the Evinrude is in better shape and the floor and transom are good I'd go with the second boat. The first is just a go fast designed for flat lakes. Any waves and you could get into trouble fairly quickly.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks for the advice

i want to look at everything, its just too bad that the motors werent switched that would be a easy buy
and i think he may have had the carbs done because he said it ran perfect, but who knows

saumon

Lieutenant

its just too bad that the motors werent switched that would be a easy buy
...because he said it ran perfect...

You seems to better like the first one but, as already said and to quote Charles Ramsey, "I'm telling ya bro", the go-fast type of boat are good to...go fast and that's about it! Less space inside, minimal freeboard, pound like hell in any chop. If it check ok, the second is a lot more versatile, being the typical bowrider. There's literally thousand of threads here on what to look for when buying a used boat. A must is to peek inside the ski-locker.

When the owner tell you that it "ran perfect", remember that an outboard run on muffs meant close to nothing and that a pre-purchase test-ride on the water is mandatory...

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh no i know i have read a large amount of stuff on here, i had my hesitations about the 1st one to begin with thats why i was asking your guys opinion, its for small lakes so im not that concerned i was looking at full on ski boats before i realized that with a family i need a bowrider, i also want something that will pull my 225 plus pounds up out of the water on skis

the one thing i cant seem to find is what the compression on the vro should be in each cylinder, i looked at one that had 80 psi in 3 cylinders and 110 in the 4th, im not sure if that is low or what

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

the one thing i cant seem to find is what the compression on the vro should be in each cylinder, i looked at one that had 80 psi in 3 cylinders and 110 in the 4th, im not sure if that is low or what

The general rule of thumb is that you want the compression to be within 10% of each cylinder. Here is a link to where you can look up the manual to the motor. The compression number should be in it. Keep in mind with the passing of time compression usually goes down. Thats OK within reason. You just don't want to get an engine that is (just picking numbers here to illustrate)

cylinder#1 150
cylinder#2 145
cylinder#3 50
cylinder#4 145

With #3 cylinder basically being all but dead.

Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!