Opinions on Searay Seville 1987

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemomo

Cadet
Hi Everyone,<br />I am a newbie here and I am particularly greatfull for the informations I have found here. I just purchase a 1987 Searay Serville with a 4 cylinder Mercruiser Engine from a Dealer. The dealer was very nice, he offered me a Demo, he said he is going to tune it up, buff it and make it sea worthy. I paid 5 k that includes a trailer and Fish finder and VHF radio. Do you think it is a good buy.

lemomo

Cadet
Re: Opinions on Searay Seville 1987

Hi All, did I do something wrong, no one answered my post<br />Thank you

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Howdy LEMOMO,<br />Probably the reason no one answered your posting is because they're like me and don't know the answer to your question, but I will welcome you to the board.<br />Hang in there and someone in the know will get back to ya.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

thayward

Recruit

Hi LEMOMO welcome aboard. The dealer had a 1987 Sea Ray Seville and the price was 5,000 and it didn't have electronics on it. I have seen Sea Ray Seville for 5000 and sometimes less upon their condition. 5,000 is an average price. I will tell you they are worth every penny too. The Sea Ray manufacture designed better hull that year and you can't go wrong with Mercruiser either. If you didn't have to put alot of money on your Seville on repairs you got a deal. Great Job. Always test drive the boat prior of buying if you can that is. If you purchase a boat signed the contract under your conditions. If the boat pass the "Test Drive".

erikgreen

Captain

Hi there -

Sea Ray makes a good boat, I like mine a lot. Whether yours is a good deal or not will depend on the condition of the boat inside.. the stringers and transom, any rot will make for extensive repairs. It also depends on the condition of the motor - what the compression is, how much maintenance has been deferred.

To make a long story short, you're only really going to be able to tell in hindsight if it was a good deal or not. If the boat is in "good" condition, with no rot, a motor with average hours for its age, and the trailer doesn't need new tires or something, then it's probably a good deal.

Only time will tell, though. Did you get a warranty of any kind?

Erik

rogerwa

Commander

I don't think he will be back as this post was ressurected from 2002.. Somebodys digging deep.

joejacobi

Recruit

Newbie here - obviously an old thread - however, no need to start an new one - I just bought the same bought - 87 Seville - in overall good condition, minor cosmetic items to be taken care of - runs really well, although stalls the odd time idling really low going into reverse - old tank of gas, possibly water in fuel - going to get some additive tomorrow and run it through - first day with boat! I'll post some pics soon...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If it stalls going into reverse consistantly, suspect a bad lower shift cable.

nlain

Commander

Newbie here - obviously an old thread - however, no need to start an new one - I just bought the same bought - 87 Seville - in overall good condition, minor cosmetic items to be taken care of - runs really well, although stalls the odd time idling really low going into reverse - old tank of gas, possibly water in fuel - going to get some additive tomorrow and run it through - first day with boat! I'll post some pics soon...

You really should start your own thread instead of reviving these old ones. Your problem could be the lower shift cable being bad, if it is replace it, do not waste your time trying to lube/free it up, you can't, I know cause I had an 87 Seville, had to put three of those in over the 17 years I ran it. If you pull the engine cover and watch the interrupt switch on the engine when you shift I would bet it moves to kill the engine and does not return, that is due to the lower cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.