Opinions on mounting elec, trolling motor on 14' Holiday?

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I am rebuilding the transom in my 14 Starcraft Holiday.

Originally it had an OMC kicker motor mount / bracket.

But I am trying to think of doing something different because:

1) The original bracket is rather large, heavy, and I think ugly on this little boat.

2) The original bracket is overkill for a little electric trolling motor.

3) The original bracket obscures the stern eye (U-bolt) that I want to use for towing a tube.

So I'm thinking about using some of the 3/4" marine plywood left over from the transom build and making a small custom bracket to bolt and seal to the outside of the transom.

Opinions, other ideas?

What is the best way to seal up the holes from the original bracket if a new bracket doesn't use them?

Some pics:

Original bracket/mount:

Starcraft-2013-Jul-07-5502.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-07-5503.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-07-5509.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-08-5603.jpg

Thanks all

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Opinions on mounting elec, trolling motor on 14' Holiday?

Yeah, that mount definitely does not belong on that boat. Like you said, you will probably have to fab something up. I don't know of anything that will be "bolt on".

To seal up the holes some guys use JB weld, marinetex, or screw a patch covered in 5200. I had a bunch on mine welded up and once the boat was repainted you couldn't see them and it should be a permanent fix. It only ran me $40 for 12 holes I think.

Also, most guys run all their questions in one thread. That way we can track easier what your up to. There is enough traffic that it should never take too long to get an answer. Just watch the "views" on your thread and you'll see how many times it gets looked at. If you post regularly in your thread people will keep coming back to it!

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the confirmation on my thinking dj. It really does look bad to me - glad it's not just me!

Also, many thanks for the etiquette tip...I was wondering about that and it differs from forum to forum - some sites I visit are the other way around. Glad to know the right way here - last thing I want to do is make a nuisance of myself as a newbie.

Cheers

BV

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, there are tons of people that will be interested in watching you! One thread keeps it "story-like".

You have a rare boat. I don't think we've seen a 14' V-5 on here before. If you check the brochures sticky at the top for '78 & '79, there is some info on the V-5's.