Opinions on Lowe SD boats?

lockedcj

Cadet
I've searched but didn't find what I was looking for.

What are your experiences and opinions of Lowe deck boats? I've read that it's an "entry level" brand but that's about all I can find.

For background: I spent a few years fishing with a friend on a pontoon boat and I really liked the roominess. What I didn't like was the slow speed and lack of maneuverability. He had the boat in the water at his dock so we never had to deal with towing, launching or recovering but I imagine that it would be a nightmare for a single person (which I will be doing by myself much of the time).

I've pretty much settled on a deck boat as the perfect compromise and I like the layout of the Lowe SD boats. My primary purpose will be fishing for bass, crappie and hybrid on a large Corps lake in SC.

FWIW - I'm not really a "boat guy". I've owned, and even restored a couple but I'm not really into them for their own sake. My restorations were purely functional and not pretty. Admittedly, I don't really know much about them. All I've used them for in the past is to get to the fish and I wasn't concerned about looks.

Older and well used are pretty much my only options since I don't have a lot of money saved up. I don't mind replacing carpet and/or seats since I've done that before and cosmetics don't matter much to me anyway.

What say you? Am I on the right track? I've recently seen a '97 without motor for $995 and a '95 with a good running Johnson 130 for $3600. Without pics, I know it's impossible to tell if those prices are good, but are they in the ballpark?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opinions on Lowe SD boats?

Both of those prices sound like a steal to me. I'm assuming these are aluminum hulls.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When asking about a specific boat brand or model, post your question in the Boat Manufacturer forum. If you scroll to the bottom of this page in the lower right corner you will see the link. There are 250+ boat brands listed there. Here is the link to the Lowe forum.

http://forums.iboats.com/Lowe_Boats

lncoop

Vice Admiral

First things first. The trailer dance with a pontoon boat isn't that bad once you get used to it, so don't let that be your primary reason for excluding them. Now, the '90s model Lowe deckboats are what you'd expect them to be; not great but adequate, which sounds like what you're looking for. That 95 model should be fine for you, and that's a good price assuming the whole interior doesn't need to be redone. It will be a rough, wet ride at times, but I don't think you'll regret spending $3600 on one.