opinions on evinrude/johnson motors

rooster

Cadet
thinking of buying a used boat and motor, somewhere in the 88-92 range. there are a lot of johnson/ evinrude 110-150 hp motors available. what are the opinions on these motors? can any tell me the do's and don'ts on buying used? thanks

outboardboy

Cadet
Re: opinions on evinrude/johnson motors

I am a big fan of the 110 to 150hp motors you are seeing.When buying used always check several things...1. The compression , it should be in the 110 lbs range , and no more than a 10% difference between cylinders.2.The gearcase, check to see if there is water in the lower unit oil.3. You should take a test ride, motors very often run different when put under the strain of the boat under way. Happy Hunting! outboardboy

heaty1

Cadet

so far I have had good survice out off my 150hp evinrude. All summer last year no probs<br />Started good fisrt time this year too.

BASSIN

Recruit

The 115 is a good motor, I have a 1983 that has never failed, not to mention, if you lose a power pack you can still get in with just one operating.

rooster

Cadet

thanks, outboardboy-in a previous recommendation you said to go a little newer and get a V6 Johnson 150. How much newer? Is the compression still the same 110 lb per cylinder?