Opinions on Crownline 238 DB

bhoppe

Recruit
So we've been looking at getting a newer boat, a deck boat style, and start seriously looking at a 2008 Glastron 215 DS. We wanted around a 21' boat, single console, and like that it has tons of room for. It has a small head with porti pot. The Glastron we were looking at has a Volvo Penta 5.0L @ 270 hp with SX outdrive with low hours around 200. So it would be plenty of power for several guests and wakeboard/ski/tubing, etc. Really nice boat in good condition. Its going for $25K.

We then came across a 2000 Crownline 238 DB while walking around a boat dealer. This boat is a beauty for a 2000. The paint is in incredible condition as is the seating. It has the Volvo Penta 5.7L @ 250hp with a DP outdrive. It only has 130 hours, which shocked me it was that low. It has a huge head compartment with light/fans and vented port window plus an outside suction for disposing the porti pot. This one we got it down to $17.5K

So at first we weren't wanting to think about 24' boats, just too big and thought 21' would be perfect. But this boat is really nice. Downside is the 5.7L volvo is carbureted and not fuel injected like the 5.0L, but it at least has electronic ignition. I was really wanting to get a fairly newer boat, i.e. 2008+, so being that this is a 2000 and almost 13 years old is a little unsettling.

We are approved for financing the Glastron already. Bank has no problem funding this one even 100% if we wanted. I won't know until Monday if they'll finance the Crownline. The dealer won't finance that one themselves.

So I guess I'm just looking for opinions on the Crownline. Being that its a 2000 there isn't much in the way of "reviews" of this boat online. I've found tons of videos/reviews of the Glastron though. What about the differences in the engines and outdrives combination? Anything I should look at? We test drive the Crownline this week.

Also, the Glastron is 3 hours away versus the Crownline is at a local dealer. Large dealer and they service there as well. They'll be changing all lube/oil, pull apart the sterndrive and inspect, etc, all before the test drive of course and it comes with 30 days warranty on engine/sterndrive.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Opinions on Crownline 238 DB

1st- many lenders are cautious or refuse to lend on a vessel over 10 years old. I prefer Crownline but it is soon to be 14 over 6 years old. Often with age comes problems. The Crownline will burn a little more fuel for more than one reason. Only 130 hours on a boat that age is not always a good thing. If it sat unused for a long time problems may arise. How was it maintained- how was the Glastron maintained? Not sure where you are from but both would be over priced in my area. If you choose the Crownline I'd insist on no less than a 90 day complete warranty.

bhoppe

Recruit

1st- many lenders are cautious or refuse to lend on a vessel over 10 years old. I prefer Crownline but it is soon to be 14 over 6 years old. Often with age comes problems. The Crownline will burn a little more fuel for more than one reason. Only 130 hours on a boat that age is not always a good thing. If it sat unused for a long time problems may arise. How was it maintained- how was the Glastron maintained? Not sure where you are from but both would be over priced in my area. If you choose the Crownline I'd insist on no less than a 90 day complete warranty.

The age and low hours are what have me concerned. For its age, it looks immaculate. It could easily pass for a 4 year old boat just by looking at it.

My very first question: When was the last time its been ran with such low hours? Like you said, it had to just sit for long period of time without running. This begs questions, did it sit with gas in the tank? Was it winterized before sitting for such long periods? Unfortunately the dealer didn't have answers which is understandable as he may not know the whole history of the boat.

I'm in North Texas. I looked up the blue book on NADA and it came to $18K for "average" condition, which I think this would definitely fit at a minimum. I don't think this includes the matching tandem trailer that comes with it, so that should add another $2500 to the value (new tires, spare, brakes, etc). So NADA says its worth $20.5K, I'm getting it for 17.5K. There are a few of this model in the area and they're going for about the same. Heck, the dealer next door has the same boat for the same price and its condition is terrible. Screws torn out, doors not working, cushions ripped, etc., and around 500 hours on it.

I do agree with you that I should push for a 90-day warranty. That would be perfect since this time of year we'll be having it out constantly, so if anything should fail, there's a good chance we'll get to it quickly.

Also, I'm reading that I would be a good idea to have a pre-sale survey done it. Never heard of that but it looks like in this situation would be smart.

Can you elaborate more about why the Crownline would burn more fuel? First off I assume its because its a heavier/larger boat at 4400 lbs. What else would contribute to higher fuel consumption?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Crownlines are big heavy boats, its just the way it is, yeah I would prefer a bigger motor but its not the end of the world when you consider the outdrive, the duo prop is a premium outdrive, especially for water sports on a bow rider, that boat should jump out of the water, you will never regret going bigger, and you will not regret getting the Crownline, great glass and great Hull, I bought mine at 10 years old and never looked back, I love my 248.

You can always upgrade to fuel injection later or just up power it but you are going to pay a premium for this boat in this condition, its a high quality boat that holds its value nicely, shop around and you will see what I am saying, any high end boat that has been cared for and maintained properly over its lifetime will draw good money, this is what you are seeing. Crownline also has a great following Crownies are very proud of their boats.

Being a heavier boat you will certainly use more gas, but you will also enjoy the ride better in a heavier boat, not so much in a DB with less dead rise then the typical Bowriders but I think you will be very happy with this boat.

tpenfield

Staff member

My opinion is A-OK for getting the Crownline.

don't worry about fuel burn, in terms of the overall cost of boat ownership, it won't mean much.

bhoppe

Recruit

My opinion is A-OK for getting the Crownline.

don't worry about fuel burn, in terms of the overall cost of boat ownership, it won't mean much.

Yeah, I figured it would burn more fuel because of the size so I was just making sure there wasn't an actual issue due to its age that I was overlooking.

bhoppe

Recruit

Well we took it out for a test run today and it ran great. Gets up on plane quick, be great for water sports. Speedo with 1mph of GPS. Just a few things they're fixing up and they're replacing both bellows as I noticed a bit too much cracking in them. We'll be taking it home this Friday.

20130612_120135_zpsda814ddc.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member

Nice. Are you having a survey done?

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks nice but I'd get it surveyed.