Opinions on 1978 Bayliner Skagit 2275

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking at purchasing a 1978 Bayliner Skagit 2275. I have searched and not found much information on this boat as I believe they were fairly limited production.

What is an estimation of planing speed for this boat? In a test run I don't think it was able to plane, I would assume about 15Knts was achieved. Could it be that it is too heavy? Or is it possibly a design issue?

What are the chances of there being freeze damage to the engine or components after sitting in the weather?

It looks to be the precursor to the Bayliner Ciera 2250 perhaps,

It is a fairly clean boat for its age includes a rear berth, alcohol stove, icebox, head, and table. I like the design a lot and it's much cheaper than the Ciera models that I plan to graduate to some day.

The owner was proud to say that it had not been out of the water in over a year and this concerned me a little as we had a very cold winter here in Seattle.

I'm going to offer around $2k for the boat, I think this will leave me about $1k for haul out and maintainence that has not been done. No trailer.

It has the original? Volvo I/O with Closed cooling and 350 block

I am fairly mechanical and replace the engine in my last boat so I think I can bring some of the mechanics back to life providing there's no major outdrive issues.

Thanks for your input :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opinions on 1978 Bayliner Skagit 2275

Don't know anything about the model of Bayliner. Skagit was a classic old 50's brand that may have been make in the Seattle area. Don't know why Bayliner would have been using the name.

2K for a boat that old that you know nothing about would be irresponsible. Closed cooling is good but that probably would not have protected the exhaust manifolds had they not been drained properly.

As to why you couldn't get it over 15k's, who knows. What were the rpm's, how did it sound?

I'd back way off until you have a little more understanding of how to evaluate these things.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for you reply.

Skagit is actually an area in Washington, there is a Skagit River, Skagit County, etc. As Bayliner started as a NW company I think that is where they got a few of their nomenclature.

I understand there will be some issues. I have done quite a bit of work to a boat with similar running gear so I think I can handle the mechanical side. You really think it's not work $2k in running ready to go cond? It also has a nice relatively new sunbrella full stand-up cover for the rear.

Problems with the hull of the boat would be difficult for me to repair. The hull is dry as bone inside, and I am certain the owner did not "prep" it before I arrived.

Any opinions on Bayliner hull quality during these early years?

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The owner was proud to say that it had not been out of the water in over a year and this concerned me a little as we had a very cold winter here in Seattle.

Unless the bottom & outdrive were painted with antifoulant right before it was put in, I'd say there's a good possibilty it's covered with marine growth & barnacles - which would explain your lack of speed.

I'd have them pull it & give it a real good checkout (including transom & stringers for rot) before offering a cent.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, that makes sense, it is in freshwater, does that make a difference? I doubt much could live in Lake Union LOL.

Haul-out is unfortunately not an option :(

whywhyzed

Banned

I am looking at purchasing a 1978 Bayliner Skagit 2275. I have searched and not found much information on this boat
Searched how?
Google found 40 sites searching "Bayliner Skagit", 37 images doing image search, and 18,000 sites without the quotes...

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, that makes sense, it is in freshwater, does that make a difference? I doubt much could live in Lake Union LOL.

Haul-out is unfortunately not an option :(

You'd be surprised how much can grow - in any water.

If you can't haul it out - can you get a dinghy or small inflatable next to it & reach under for a feel? A surveyor might be able to check out the structure while in the drink, but a good one will insist on pulling it. Otherwise, you pays your money & you takes your chances! :p

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Get a diver to look at it. Get the hull scrubbed off..Theres a LOT of old Bayliners still floating around here (I have 77 Saratoga). If it runs, I would dump the ignition if it still has points.
$280 will get ya a whole new set up..a link

http://http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page82.html

Go to Ebay and search fredwarner1 he's local with the best deals on new manifolds...replace regardless
280 outdrives pretty bulletproof

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info, I am a little worried about outdrive issues, I hear the volvo's cost a lot more to rebuild.

The outdrive does not appear to have trim cylinders, how does it trim up to go on a trailer?

I searched google, most of the hits are bogus.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the info, I am a little worried about outdrive issues, I hear the volvo's cost a lot more to rebuild.

The outdrive does not appear to have trim cylinders, how does it trim up to go on a trailer?

I searched google, most of the hits are bogus.

It just has electric tilt then (less trouble). Inside the motor compartment in the back. Make sure the reverse lock works..need to be clean and no marine growth on it. Pick up (ebay) a V/P 68-84 manual..'splaines all

Hi there, I have the 1978 Bayliner Skagit 2275. She has a BMW Marine Turbo Diesel 200 HP engine. I currently stay in Bali, Indonesia. Someone told about the planing of this boat. Yup, she has a problem to plan with 200 HP engine, probably because of its width.