Opinion please

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at trading some dirtbikes for this boat. The guy said he can not remember the exact year but thought it was a late 80's. Scheduled for a test cruise on later this month, but off of pictures what do you guys think, and does anybody know anything about delta boats.

Attachments

• Photo-0032.jpg
    Photo-0032.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Opinion please

All my other pics are to big I will put more up if I can resize them. Has a 115 evinrude.

cribber

Lieutenant

From the bow picture it looks to be in good shape. If the upholstery is in good shape with no cracks or tears, and no soft spots in the deck you got a decent deal. Hard to tell from just the one picture... take it out for a test and see what she can do.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

focus on the motor. When you get old boats, look at them this way: you're buying the motor with a free hull and trailer. Motors are expensive to repair and expensive to replace. It's getting hard to find anyone to work on old motors esp. in saltwater areas. If the price is real low and the motor is scary, budget as if you are replacing the motor tomorrow. Remember if you switch motor brands you will likely need all new controls and possibly steering.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looking at trading some dirtbikes for this boat. The guy said he can not remember the exact year but thought it was a late 80's. Scheduled for a test cruise on later this month, but off of pictures what do you guys think, and does anybody know anything about delta boats.

Looks more like late 70's or early 80's reminds me of my 1980 four winns

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From that single picture, the boat looks like it's in good shape. However the trailer looks like it's about to fall apart. May just be the color or lighting, but it looks like it's rusted to hell!

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

From that single picture, the boat looks like it's in good shape. However the trailer looks like it's about to fall apart. May just be the color or lighting, but it looks like it's rusted to hell!

Hell, I thought it was painted brown... if thats not paint.. ouch.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Seeing as the guy isn't sure of the year, you may wish to make sure your state doesn't require a title for the boat, as I'm guessing the owner doesn't have it.

Otherwise a nice looking boat. Make sure she runs nicely and do a compression check. If you think it is worth the trade, that makes it a good deal no matter what anyone says.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

He said he has the title just has to dig it out. Its an older gentleman and I am dealing with his son. The son appears to know nothing about the boat so everything is second hand info. He said it runs great and we are supposed to go on a test ride here in 2 weeks. I believe it is probably a late 70's as well. I checked nada and it says the boat an motor together is only worth 1100. I have a few offers for trades on newer boats so I will probably go that route. I wish somebody had cash for the bikes so I could shop with cash but I guess thats the state of the economy.

beermunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BEFORE you go out in it, be there with the owner when he checks the lower unit oil. Easy enough to just pop the screw out and look at the color. You do not want to go out on your test drive burning up the lower unit because it's full of water or low on oil, buy the boat and bring it home and have to buy a new unit.

That boat is probably worth $1k if the motor runs. Are you sure you want to trade two dirt bikes for it?

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I pretty much ruled this one out. Im looking at a 84 sea ray and 85 thompson both guys want to trade. I'm about to just buy something cash so I can take my pick and wait the sale out with the bikes.

TJLMERC330

Cadet

Good move, I'd walk away from this one also .... buying/trading for a boat with an owner that doesnt know much about the boat and can't find the title ... says to me that he didnt care much for it. There are TONS of boats out there for sale right now ... keep looking and you'll find the boat you want for the price you want. What kind of dirt bikes? what is their value?

Tom

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

2000 yz250 and a 20020yz 85 worth between 2300-2500 both are very nice