opinion on 115 mercury

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK:
I have a chance to snap up a 1992 mercury 115hp motor, what should I know or check on these , it is oil injected model?

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: opinion on 115 mercury

I have an 87 115 Merc. that had not been started in two years and here's what I did to it before I even had 1 hours time on it.

New impeller and lower gear oil
New stator
New coils and switch
New plugs
New head gasket/ water jacket gasket (it was leaking water and dried out)
New fuel bulb and line
Rebuilt fuel pump

So I got this motor and it had not been run so once it fired up it needed some love. I put $1100 into it and that includes labor. The engine runs awesome and pushes my boat to 58+ mph. (Glastron Carlson CVX16)

I would buy the motor if it runs and compression is good, but I would take my list of items and put them in your pocket as these are the things that could possibly need attention.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Look under the flywheel and you'll see the stator. If it's red, it's been updated. If it's black, it's waiting to fail. Black ones have a very high failure rate. Update kits are around $400+. (RAPAIR replacements have the coils bare and not encased in plastic, they're fine.) Gearlube and water pump always on any used motor that's new to you. Fuel pump rebuild because they had some check valve problems, kits are cheap.

Yes it's oil injected, at least it came that way. ;)

This you should be prepared for. It idles on the upper two cylinders and the bottom two kick in between 1/4-1/3 throttle. In that throttle range, it has kind of a hard time deciding on running on 2, 3, or 4 cylinders. It acts like it's misfiring and something's wrong. There's nothing wrong, they do that. It's hard to keep a steady speed for wakeboarders and beginner waterskiers. Other than that they're good running motors.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats strange, I tried the motor out and it stuttered as I started to push it farther, then all of a sudden it took off like hell. It idles great, terrible at 1/4 and great at full wot. Strange I have not checked under the fly wheel, I will do that next. Any other info? Motor seems nice and quite, just the stuttering at that little spot bugs me.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh ya, how reliable are the oil injectors and are there ways to make sure they stay in good condition?

MercGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats strange, I tried the motor out and it stuttered as I started to push it farther, then all of a sudden it took off like hell. It idles great, terrible at 1/4 and great at full wot. Strange I have not checked under the fly wheel, I will do that next. Any other info? Motor seems nice and quite, just the stuttering at that little spot bugs me.

What's strange ?

re-read Willies last paragraph, what you are experiencing is exactly what he gave a detailed explanation of.

The studdering can be minimized by assuring that everything is to factory spec, but it will always be present to some degree. It's the nature of the beast.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so this motor will always be this way, who would make a motor like this? So I can not take people skiing or anything? I find this strange that mercury would build such an animal.