Opinion Eagle, Lowrance, Bottomline Fish Finders

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Group<br /><br />I want to buy a depth finder for my cruiser. I primarily go boating in lake and reservoirs and after unintentionally beaching one day, I decided that I really need a depth finder. My internet search revealed that you get more for your money when you buy a fish finder instead of a depth finder so I have been looking at fish finders. I really only have two desires: (1) to see depths up to 15 ft, and (2) have an audible low-depth alarm; anything else is simply a bonus. I have narrowed my search to three brands: Bottomline, Eagle, and Lowrance. Most of the boaters in my area have Eagle, but I like the Bottomline physical appearance. Lowrance is a well-respected name so I included them. From what I've read Hummingbird is not so highly regarded so I am not considering them (no offense to anyone). I am looking to spend $200 max.<br /><br />Can you tell me your noteworthy experience with any or all of the three brands? If you simply want to use a rating scale of 1 - 5 with 1 being very poor and 5 being most excellent, that is also fine. I am leaning towards the Bottomline Tournament 4300, but I am still open to suggestions.<br /><br />Thanks!

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Opinion Eagle, Lowrance, Bottomline Fish Finders

Look online at ebay. I got a bottomline 1100 for 45.00 brand new. I does everything you want. There are others also like lorance ect... Alot of people get them for gifts and then sell them.<br />Good luck

bubbakat

Captain

I have a lowrance x65 and it has audible alarm for depth and I prob will by one of them again when I upgrade Eagle is also made by lowrance

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I have an Eagle and not real happy, rating 2<br /><br />Doug

18rabbit

Captain

Sounders (aka bottom finders/fish-finders/scuba diver-finders :) ) are comprised of two primary parts. The transducer and the ‘other thingy’. Almost every company that makes a sounder uses a transducers made by Airmar.<br /><br />transducer x-ref: http://www.airmar.com/marine/enduser/enduser_index.html <br /><br />You can look up your sounder’s model and shop for lower cost (identical) transducer or you may desire a different frequency for your application. (200kHz works well with scuba divers. :) )<br /><br />The higher the freq. the more accurate shallow water sounding will be. 235kHz is shallow water accurate to about 2-fsw. Obviously, the reverse for lower freq. With enough wattage, a 38kHz can accurately ‘see’ about a mile deep. What you asked about is a sounder for very shallow water detection, not fish-finding. Your transducing needs are fulfill with a single, high freq. transducer.<br /><br />Duel freq. transducers employ a high and low freq., usually 50kHz for deep water and 200kHz for shallow water accuracy. Because they are commonly used freq, it is possible for other boat’s transducing activities to be received by your unit. This shouldn’t be a problem unless you are among a bunch of boats transducing simultaneously.<br /><br />About that ‘other thingy’...the display. All you need is a simple, digital numeric readout of the distance below the transducer for assessing depth, with an alarm. Uniden makes some of these critters as a dash mount gauge with a transom or hull mounted 200kHz transducer that retails in the $100 to $140 range. There are a lot of competitors with similar products/pricing. You do not need to spend your $$$ for the LCD fish/scuba diver-finder display, for the application you stated.

dixie420

Seaman Apprentice

just so you know what you are buying. an eagle fishfinder is made by lowrance. <br />im not saying eagle isnt good or anything. but they are a bit cheaper than the lowrance stuff. i have a lowrance lms-160 and its worth every cent.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hydro<br />For Shallow fresh water any of the units will do. Only real difference in Lowrance and Eagle is Lowrance has more power and more resoultion for deeper water. Eagle Cheaper and all will work fine up to 100 feet of Fresh water. Set your Shallow water alarm down around 30 feet to give your time to slow down a stop before running aground.

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Guys,<br /><br />Thanks for all of the input. In the end, I chose the BottomLine 4300, place in Wisconsin had it for $189.<br /><br />Boatist: That was very good information. I would not have thought to set the alarm to allow for traveling speed. Thanks!