Operators manual for '54 Johnson SeaHorse

DallasJeff

Seaman
Anybody know where I can find operating manual for a '54 Johnson Seahorse 10HP ?

Its my first time operating an outboard and I'm not sure about all of the controls. I got it started up but I'm not sure about the controls that say "low speed" and "high speed" that apparently control the gas/air mixture. Also what ratio to mix the fuel and oil. The guy I bought it from said about 40:1 but reading through the forum it seems that older motors run more like 24:1.

Also I have read that these old pressurized fuel tanks are dangerous and that I should upgrade to the newer single-line vacuum type. I read the "sticky" about doing this modification but is it really necessary?

I'd really like to find a good online guide to operating and maintenance.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Operators manual for '54 Johnson SeaHorse

Start off reading up on what you can find (tuning is there) in the FAQS Forums.
If the tank pumps, and the hoses are good, yer fine. Rebuild parts and hose avaiable too

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You might find an Owner's Manual on eBay, Jeff. Your model number is QD-15

If no luck there you can probably get one from www.kencook.com.

No, it will not be cheap, but it will save you several times its price very quickly.

wbeaton

Commander

Hi DallasJeff,

I can help you out with the parts manual for your motor. I also have a 1957 Johnson Operators manual, which is pretty much the same as your motor. Drop me your email via PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

DallasJeff

Seaman

Thanks Wayne, PM sent. That operators manual would be a big help. I'm embarrassed to admit I don't even know if the motor has a choke on it. Or how to work the tilt.

The previous owner told me I should replace the seals in the lower unit pretty soon. It oozes a small amount of fluid from a area he called "the weep hole". I'm glad to hear parts are still readily available.

wbeaton

Commander

Thanks Wayne, PM sent. That operators manual would be a big help. I'm embarrassed to admit I don't even know if the motor has a choke on it. Or how to work the tilt.

The previous owner told me I should replace the seals in the lower unit pretty soon. It oozes a small amount of fluid from a area he called "the weep hole". I'm glad to hear parts are still readily available.

None of us knew anything about outboards at one time. Yours has a choke. Its the knob that pulls out on the starboard side of the instrument panel. The other two knobs control the high and low idle speed.

The leaky oil could be unspent fuel and oil, but if it has the original seals then they need to be replaced. They almost always leak by now.

First thing you need to do is check your coils. If they are original they are no good even if they spark. You also need to replace the water pump impeller. A complete tune-up will cost you about $150 in parts, but its something you can do yourself.

DallasJeff

Seaman

Thanks Wayne,

I got the manuals and REALLY appreciate it.

The coils have been replaced by the previous owner about two years ago. He said he replaced the repeller at the same time but the old one was still in good shape. Probably the owner before him had done good maintenance.

I'm getting off topic for this forum but how urgent is it to replace the seals in the lower, assuming it is the seals? I read a bit about it online and the author said that if oil is leaking out of the lower you can be sure some water is also getting in.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definitely make sure your ignition is up to par. My 54 15hp Evinrude was acting like it had a fuel starvation problem when actually it was a bad spark plug wire. Do it right the first time and save yourself alot of grief

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Can't remember if your 54 has F-N-R shift. If it does, plain old marine hypoid oil will do for the lower unit. If not, Lubriplate 105 white engine assembly grease...which you can use in place of hypoid in later models, in a pinch. Best way to check the LU seals is pull the drain plug and check it out. If what comes out looks like vanilla milk shake, it's time to replace the seals. If not, you should be good to go in that dept.

wbeaton

Commander

It has full shift. Use regular 90W lower unit oil like tm suggests.

chattyrona

Seaman Apprentice

There are seloc manuals on ebay right now for your motor as there is a guy who bought out a stores inventory of them and he has alot of them. I bought one. The price is fair also. The name on ebay is "bustersmarine". Just search it on ebays search seller function.

sollyray

Recruit

Hi Wayne,
I'm a retired enlisted Marine that just bought a Johnson 10hp QD-15. I'm going to restore it and spend the rest of my time fishing. Let me know about the owners and parts manuals so I can get out of the house and start wrenching on it.
THANK YOU so much. My email is sollyray@hotmail.com

sollyray

Recruit

Hi,
I'm a retired enlisted Marine that just bought a 10hp Johnson QD-15. I have to get it up and running so I can spend the rest of my time fishing. I need a copy of the owners and parts manual to if you have one or can scan the one you have and send it to me. This old Marine would really appreciate that.
My email is sollyray@hotmail.com THANK YOU Ray

sollyray

Recruit

Hi Wayne,
I'm a retired enlisted Marine that just bought a Johnson 10hp QD-15. I'm going to restore it and spend the rest of my time fishing. Let me know about the owners and parts manuals so I can get out of the house and start wrenching on it.
THANK YOU so much. My email is sollyray@hotmail.com

sollyray

Recruit

Hi Commander,
I'm still working on the QD-15 10hp. Could you email me the operators manual for the QD that you have? It's the Marine Corps Birthday so this old Marine would really appreciate it. My email is sollyray@hotmail.com

THANK YOU SO MUCH Semper Fi

wbeaton

Commander

Sorry, sollyray, I haven't been coming to the site much lately so I didn't see your request. I still check my PM's. That's the best way to get me. Anyway, the manual should be in your inbox.