Operating Marine Radio...

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all, <br /><br />I was hoping to find a good source for how to operate a newly purchased Marine, VHF radio. The booklet gives channels, with abbreviations for traffic-type. Example: “Com’l” (commercial?) “NonCom’l “ (non-commercial? (recreational boats?)) “Public corresp.” (public correspondence?) <br /><br />I see channels 68, 69, 71, 72, and 78 listed as “Nom Com’l”. Because I am going to meet up with someone for a day’s outing, I bought a radio to “chat” as needed along the way. Are the above channels alright for general talk?<br /><br />And if there is a site which fully delves into Marine radio usage, the do’s and don’ts, I would really like to read up on this, take the radio down to the River and practice listening and figuring this out.<br /><br />Thank you.<br /><br />Edit: The "Public corresp." channels are listed for Ship to Shore only (no ship ship). I'd like to learn why...

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Operating Marine Radio...

Here's some more info, all you need to know is online, somewhere...<br /><br /><br /> vhf's

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Operating Marine Radio...

Luna,<br /><br />You’re the best! Great link… exactly what I was looking for. Nice and easy for the newbie who wants to learn and play by the rules.