"open water" prop selection + trip advice

z rated

Cadet
Hey all, ive had a hard time getting much information from my boat dealer and had some questions about taking my boat to Vancouver island next season. Ive heard from many people that they do this on a regular basis and my boat will be fine as long as the conditions arent bad. Its about 40 km's from where i'd be launching to the island. Its not actually open water since although its offshore the actual water is between the island and coast taking a look at google maps might give you a better idea if your not sure what i mean. Ive got a maxum 2100 SC 260hp 5 litre mpi, its a deep v hull and does pretty well in the rough. My question is what exactly should i be looking for in a prop for a trip like this? I plan on doing it several times this season so i dont mind getting another prop if its a good idea. Do i want to go for speed, good accel? I really dont know. Price of the prop and fuel efficiency arent really an issue. Right now im running a 19 pitch ss prop and get around 4900 rpm @ 45 knots. Should i just stick with that prop? It gets me on plane pretty quick and im pretty happy with it. But if anyone can recommend a spare prop that would be useful for this type of trip please share.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: "open water" prop selection + trip advice

Ayuh,.........

There's No such thing as an Open Water Prop,.....
It sounds like your boat is now Propped Properly,......
No reason to Change anything.......

If you increase the Pitch to lower the rpms,......
All you're doing is inducing a Lugging situation, that'll lead to a Dead Motor........
In other words,......
It's a False Economy..........
You Might save a Buck on Fuel,.....
Only to $pent Thou$and$ to fix or replace the motor........

TilliamWe

Banned

I agree with Bond-o, sounds like the prop you have is correct already.
The only other thing I can think of it to get a 4 or 5 blade prop that would allow you to hold plane at a lower speed, in case the waters get rough. Meaning, maybe be able to stay on plane at 20mph and not get beat as bad as maybe being on plane at 25mph.
But not knowing what prop you have now, all we can definatively say is that WOT rpms of 4900 is right on for your motor. If you get a second prop, make sure it turns the same or similiar WOT rpms.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Instead of a prop, install trim tabs that would allow staying on plane at much slower speeds should the weather toughen up.

z rated

Cadet

So basically staying on plane is what i want for rough water? Im pretty surprised with the maxum, in most cases i can stay on plane at around 18 knots with the current prop. From everyones advice it looks like i should just stick with the prop i have. Thanks guys