Oops! Too Much Torque Head Bolts Now What

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I just installed a new head gasket and over torque the head. I realized it right away and loosen it and retorqued it. I was supposed to be at 84 inch lbs and was at 150 inch lbs. I was reading Ft lbs and could not figure out why I could get it tighter? I am lucky I didn't break or stip any bolts! I kinda liked it better before I use a torque wrench. I use to have the feel for it. Do you think its going to be ok? took month to hunt down a water plate gasket.<br />steve

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Oops! Too Much Torque Head Bolts Now What

afternoon stinky2,<br /><br />sorry to hear about your "ooops!". hopefully the aluminum threads in the block weren't stressed too much.<br /><br />I would get a new head gasket. working from what you posted, i suspect some deformation that could lead to a leak. might want to re-check the mating surfaces of the head for "true" before re-mounting. if it's out, resurface with fine grit on flat (glass) surface.<br /><br />if the receiving threads in the block let go, there are a couple of options (depending on wall thickness of block). heli-coils seem to work well but require a bit much of overdrilling the original hole. else, maybe you could go up in head bolt size by a 1/32 or so. drill and tap accordingly.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />HAVE FUN!

Walker

Captain

Are you sure you were reading the right chart. 84inch/lbs sounds awfully light to me for head bolts. In fact 150inch/lbs sound light to me. What motor do you have?

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Walker Ya I think you might be right about that.<br />Its a 70hp Johnson. It shoud be a round 140-150 for 5/16 bolts. I was reading head screws when I was checking it out. I think I am going to be ok.<br />steve

Walker

Captain

Stinky, my book says 216 to 240inch/lbs. for the 70hp 3 cylinder up to 1986.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Walker My Clymer book says 18-20 Ft lbs which is right in your numbers do you agree. I have <br />re-torqued them and have run the engine for 45 minutes and checked compression,143 on #1 140 #2<br />looks good to me we will see.<br />steve

rmpenton

Seaman

my expirence is that as long as the bolts are torqued the same and close to the books specs then you will be ok.since you tightened them to much you should get a new head gasket or you are asking for trouble.on my johnson 115 i torqued my head bolts to about 15ft lbs and my book says about 20

Walker

Captain

Thats correct Stinky. 18 to 20 ft/lbs. 1 ft/lb = 12 inch/lbs<br />Everything should by OK.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Stinky2,<br />Don't cha love it when ya think your wrong and your really right?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hooty, I just got lucky this time!but ya have to love it when you luck out.<br />steve