Oops, I broke something. What is it?

brewern

Cadet
I was pulling the carburetors tonight to rebuild them, and I broke a piece of plastic that looks rather important. Can anyone clear up what this is, and what I need to order?
Should that metal tube have come out?

This is a Mercury 80 outboard, off of a 1986 Chapparral.

Thanks!

DSCN7785.jpgDSCN7791.jpgDSCN7795.jpgDSCN7796.jpgDSCN7797.jpg

emckelvy

Commander
Re: Oops, I broke something. What is it?

That is the plunger for the "choke" solenoid, but what it really operates on your motor are the enrichening valves on the side of the carbs, to richen-up the mixture for cold starts.

Part # 89008A 2 "Plunger Assembly, Choke Solenoid" looks like it's still available from the Merc dealer, around $20.

Look it up online at marineengine.com as well as many other sites.

The metal plunger just rides up and down within the solenoid, when you push the key in to "choke" the motor (or push a choke button, depending on what control box you have), the solenoid coil is energized and electromagnetism pulls the plunger upwards into the solenoid, to open the enrichening valves.

HTH............ed

brewern

Cadet
Re: Oops, I broke something. What is it?

That is the plunger for the "choke" solenoid, but what it really operates on your motor are the enrichening valves on the side of the carbs, to richen-up the mixture for cold starts.

Part # 89008A 2 "Plunger Assembly, Choke Solenoid" looks like it's still available from the Merc dealer, around $20.

Look it up online at marineengine.com as well as many other sites.

The metal plunger just rides up and down within the solenoid, when you push the key in to "choke" the motor (or push a choke button, depending on what control box you have), the solenoid coil is energized and electromagnetism pulls the plunger upwards into the solenoid, to open the enrichening valves.

HTH............ed

You rock! Thanks so much.