ooops! 305 merc '99

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice
er, I just realized that I turned the engine over with out the distributer in place after I redid the heads. Do I turn the engine to TDC and rotate the distributer until it is in #1 firing position? and then slide it in?<br /><br />or should i light my boat on fire now and call the insurance people? :D <br /><br />Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: ooops! 305 merc '99

Ayah........<br />As long as it's TDC, #1 ......<br />Not TDC, 1 turn out...........<br />Every Other time around is #1.........

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

It has to be at TDC, of the compression stroke. Easiest way is to hold a finger over the spark plug hole as someone turns the engine in the normal operating direction. If you feel pressure building as it approaches TDC on the timing mark you're good. If not, turn it all the way around to TDC again and you should then have it. Then set the distributor in at #1 you're good to go, just fine tune the timing with a light. <br /><br />You will likely have to insert and remove the dist a few times, each time moving it one tooth over, to finally engage the oil pump drive. Takes a little practice/patience sometimes.

KaGee

Admiral

Mike....<br /><br />Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt! :eek: