Only one side will spark

63 Evinrude

Cadet
I have a 63 18hp Evinrude Fastwin. I can only get spark from one plug. I have all new components Coil, Point sets, Condensers, Plug wires and Plugs. I’ll say for example Plug “A” will spark in a spark test but plug “B” will not. I have one by one switched every component from side ”B” to side “A” and “A” to side “B” and with every component transferred I have reassembled the fly wheel and puller and have done a spark test, but have all day had the same result only side “A” will spark. Because I have tried all the components I know they are all working. Please any tips, questions any information at all will be much appreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Only one side will spark

Assuming that all is as you have stated, it's possible that you have a film on one set of points. I could only suggest that you clean the point contacts with either laquer thinner or acetone.

63 Evinrude

Cadet

Thank you for the reply Mr. Reeves, but both points did work in side “A” all the components work in side “A”. Any other suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

If all parts are in working order ,the only thing that's comes into my mind is the wiring between the components .<br />You got all isolators in place ? no damaged wires that's leads to earth , any killswitch in the circuit ( if so , remove it ) .<br /><br />Did you switch the points? if not you might want to try Joe´s advice .<br /><br />If you can´t get it working , remove all parts ,clean them all and reassemble the system part for part and use the time you need , do not rush.

63 Evinrude

Cadet

Thank you also Droll for your reply. The thing I can not understand is how all these brand new parts work only on side “A” and not side “B”. For example when I fist started today the first thing I transferred was the coil. I figured maybe the coil was faulty so I transferred the coil from the side that was work side”A” to side “B” and “B” to “A”. Well side “A” sparked again with the coil from side”B but “B” still would not spark. I did this with every part one by one every time I transferred a part I’d put the motor back together and spark test. But at the end of the day after transferring every part even the spark plug wires. Still only side “A” will spark. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

63 Evinrude

Cadet

Can the magnet have anything to do with this? I have magnet on one side of the fly wheel. The opposite side has no magnet.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Occasionally a plug wire will become faulty under the armature plate which will allow it to short out to the bottom of the armature plate. However, you've stated that you have replaced both plug wires which would eliminate that possibility.<br /><br />The coil metal yoke, the vertical part of which must align with the inside bevel (on the armature plate) that you see where the coil sits upon the armature plate. This sets the coils at the proper distance from the flywheel magnets.<br /><br />Possibly one plug wire is slightly short at the coil end which would prevent it from engaging the coil prong properly. The only other think I can think of is as follows:<br /><br />(Magneto Armature Plate)<br />(J. Reeves)<br />If the armature plate has a a loose fitting, wobbling motion (the plate that the points, coils etc are attached to), it is usually caused by a slightly worn support ring. This allows the point setting to change erratically as the armature plate turns.<br /> <br />The cure is to remove the armature plate so that the support which is attached to the powerhead with 4 screws is visible. Then, with a screwdriver and hammer, or some tool of your choosing, and looking straight down at the support ring, make an indentation at what would be called the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions. Install the armature plate and check for a smooth turning wobble free movement.<br /><br />You may need to do that procedure a few times to obtain the proper fit (not too tight, not too loose), but it's worth the effort.

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it possible that somehow there is too much clearance between the magnet and the coil when it's on the side that doesn't spark? Don't know how it could be without the other side hitting the magnet, but is it possible. Could the points not be set right on that side? Maybe an upside down(flipped over) coil? Is the coil on the nonfunctional side properly grounded? Does this engine have one kill wire for each coil? If so, it could be that only one side is grounded out. That's all I can think of for now. Good Luck!!! :) <br /><br />EDIT: Looks like Joe and I crossed paths. What he says seems to me that it would rule out the clearance.